How to Become an Optician Technician
Learn how to become an optician technician. Research the education requirements, training information and experience required for starting a career in the optical field.
Do I Want to Be an Optician Technician?
Also known as opticians, these professionals take eye measurements and create work orders for the ophthalmic lab techs who will make the eye glasses. Opticians often help clients choose glasses and sometimes repair them or assure a good fit by making adjustments. Those working in small shops may also grind or cut lenses to fit frames. Administrative office duties are often required, in addition. Evening and weekend work hours might be necessary for those employed in large retail stores.
Employers prefer candidates who have earned at least a high school diploma. Applicants who have completed a postsecondary degree or certificate program might have the best job prospects. Some states require licensure. The following table contains essential requirements needed to become an optician technician:
|Degree Level||High school diploma*|
|Licensure/Certification||Some states require licensure; the American Board of Opticianry (ABO) and National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) offer voluntary certification*|
|Key Skills||Customer service, communication and management skills*|
|Computer Skills||Medical, point of sale and project management software***|
|Technical Skills||Manual dexterity and ability to use equipment such as calipers and lensometers***|
Sources: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, **Commission on Opticianry Accreditation, ***O NET Online.
Step 1: Meet the Educational Requirements
Most optician technicians must hold at least a high school diploma or equivalent to gain employment. During high school, prospective optician technicians should take courses in mathematics, science and computer technology. Some technical schools and community colleges offer industry-related courses for students interested in obtaining formal opticianry education. Some states have accredited associate's degree programs for opticians. Certificate programs are also available.
Step 2: Get On-the-Job Training
Many employers prefer to train their optician technicians themselves. New hires typically work under the guidance of an experienced optician technician and begin with tasks such as adjusting frames. Training generally lasts 12 months. Apprenticeships are offered by some companies.
Step 3: Earn Licensure
Optician technicians are required to be licensed in many states. In order to qualify for licensure, individuals generally need to complete an apprenticeship or a formal education program. Specific requirements vary by state, but optician technicians must also pass state exams. Optician technicians must participate in continuing education opportunities and periodically renew their licenses.
- Obtain certification. Voluntary certification is available for optician technicians who want to increase their job opportunities or take advantage of the other benefits of certification. Individuals may become certified in areas such as eyeglass dispensing and contact lens dispensing. To obtain certification, candidates must pass exams from the American Board of Opticianry (ABO) and National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE). Continuing education credits are required to meet certification renewal requirements.
Related to Be an Optician Technician
- Recently Updated
Learn how to become an optician. Research the education and career requirements, licensure information and experience required...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become an optician. Get a quick view of the requirements, as well as...
Read about a common degree program for those training to become an optician. Find out what degree is earned, what admission...
Dispensing opticians are eye care professionals who assist customers in selecting and fitting eyeglasses and contact lenses....
- Optician Assistant: Employment Outlook & Requirements
- Optician Assistant Training and Degree Program Information
- Schools for Aspiring Opticians: How to Choose
- Top School in Maitland, FL, for Aesthetician Training
- Elementary School Music Teacher: Job Duties and Requirements
- Procurement Clerk: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Plant Manager Job Description and Education Requirements