CNA Online | Find Nursing Assistant Certification Online
Under the supervision of registered nurses, certified nursing assistants (CNAs) provide basic care for patients in hospitals, home health agencies and extended care facilities. Because of the hands-on laboratory work required to earn CNA licensure in most states, online students must enroll in blended programs that combine online and on-campus courses.
CNA Certification Requirements
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the federal government requires that CNAs complete at least 75 hours of state-approved training and pass a competency evaluation that results in state licensure or certification (www.bls.gov).
For a CNA education program to be approved, most states require that students complete a certain amount of hands-on laboratory skills training. As a result, online programs that meet state licensing requirements typically have students complete lab coursework on-campus. These are known as blended programs.
Blended Certified Nursing Assistant Certificate Program Overview
Blended online and on-campus CNA certificate programs are typically separated into the theory or lecture portion and the lab or clinical portion. Together, they teach students the skills necessary to assist nurses in a variety of healthcare settings. Common CNA tasks may include bringing patients to and from exam rooms, assisting patients with walking and basic skin care, helping patients dress and undress, delivering meals and checking vital signs.
CNA Courses Online
The online portion of a blended CNA certificate program is typically the theory or lecture section. These courses utilize interactive technology, such as discussion boards, chat rooms, video lectures and advanced computer software, to teach the basics of patient care. Students can work on their own time, a practice known as 'asynchronous learning,' and submit tests and assignments through the Web.
The clinical, portion of the program is taken on-campus. Students attend lab courses on a local campus in order to gain hands-on experience with the concepts that they learned online.
After completing an approved program and earning a nursing assistant certificate, students are eligible to sit for a state certification exam. Successful completion of the exam qualifies them to seek work as CNAs.
Related to CNA Online
- Recently Updated
A Certified Nursing Assistant instructor teaches individuals who are interested in working as nursing assistants. Also...
Research the requirements to become a CNA instructor. Learn about the job description and duties, and read the...
Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs) work under the direct supervision of registered nurses or other medical...
Certified nursing assistants (CNAs) work within hospitals, nursing homes and other healthcare facilities, helping...
- Online CNA Certification Information
- List of Free Online CNA Courses and Classes
- Home Health CNA Jobs: Requirements, Salary and Career Info
- Top Degree Programs for a Respiratory Therapist - Phoenix, AZ
- Top School for Accounting and Finance - Charlotte, NC
- Top Ranked Human Resource Management Degree Programs - Milwaukee, WI
- Top School for a Degree in Computer Information Technology - Columbus, OH
- CNA - Overview of a Certified Nursing Assistant Career
- Will Your Online Presence Cost You a Job?
- Top Degree Programs in Educational Leadership and School Administration - Arlington, VA
- Top Ranked Nursing School - Los Angeles, CA
- Top University with a Master's in Accounting and Financial Management Degree - Cleveland, OH