Construction Management Associates Degree Programs
Construction management associate's degree programs include business courses as well as practical courses in building methods. Find out about these programs and career options in the field.
Construction management is a field encompassing the construction of residential, commercial and public projects, ranging in scale from homes and offices to schools, bridges and hospitals. Construction management associate's degree programs provide introductory education in business skills and the hands-on aspects of construction, including roofing, framing and drafting. Students enrolled in these programs are encouraged to seek internships. To be effective in construction management, students also gain a strong background in writing, mathematics and science.
Construction management associate's degrees are generally offered at 2-year community and technical colleges. Applicants must possess a high school diploma or the equivalent. Most schools require the submission of ACT or SAT scores, though score requirements are generally lower than those found at 4-year colleges and universities.
Courses in construction management associate's degree programs train students in the essential skills necessary for effective leadership on a construction site. These skills range from construction practices to safety to general business subjects. Common course topics include the following:
- Introductory construction safety and health regulations
- Estimating construction costs
- Construction safety and supervision
- Fundamentals of blueprint reading
- Introductory surveying and mapping
- Building construction methods and materials
- Understanding soils and foundations
- Principles of management and leadership
- Principles of financial accounting
Popular Career Options
Construction management associate's degree programs prepare students for entry-level positions in many facets of the construction industry. These include roles not only directly in construction, but also in planning, development, marketing, sales and safety. Possibilities include the following positions:
- Land developer
- Land-use planner
- Construction contractor
- On-site field superintendent
- Construction cost estimator
Continuing Education Information
While an associate's degree in construction management is adequate for entry-level work, most leadership positions require a bachelor's degree. Common bachelor's degree fields include construction management, construction science, civil engineering and building science. In addition to a bachelor's degree, work experience is highly regarded, whether it's in a construction leadership position or a building trade. Master's degree programs are also available in construction management and construction science, though these are most often pursued by individuals who are interested in construction careers but have undergraduate degrees in unrelated fields.
Related to Construction Management Associates Degree
- Recently Updated
Arlington, VA, has few schools with programs in construction management. Find the best program for you by reading about...
With a degree or certificate in construction management, carpentry or inspection, construction professionals are prepared to...
Learn about schools offering some of the best programs in construction management that lead to graduate degrees. Read on for...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a construction manager. Get a quick overview of the requirements,...
- Online Construction Management Schools: How to Choose
- Online Bachelors Degrees in Construction Management
- Online Construction Management Certifications, Certificates & Diplomas
- Career Information for a Degree or Certification in Surveying
- Architectural Designer: Career & Education Info
- Top Drafting and Design School - Omaha, NE
- Top School in San Francisco for Advertising Design
- Top Ranked Construction Management Degree Programs - Denver, CO
- What's Required to Start a Career in Construction Management?
- Government Accounting Jobs: Options and Requirements
- Automated Accounting Careers: Job Options, Duties and Requirements
- Top Ranked Public Administration Degree Program - San Francisco, CA