Online Counselor Courses, Training and Career Education
A number of schools offer undergraduate and graduate counseling degree programs online. Course offerings vary widely to accommodate the varied range of counseling sub-disciplines. Most states require counselors to become certified before practicing, which includes passing the state-administered exam and working a specified number of hours in a clinical setting under the supervision of a senior professional.
Online Undergraduate Degree in Counseling
Many schools offer online undergraduate degree programs in specific areas of counseling. For instance, a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Addiction Counseling introduces students to a number of topics, including psychotherapy models, drug abuse fundamentals and the therapeutic process. Candidates are generally required to complete a number of general education courses, such as general psychology and world civilization, early in the program. Online counselor courses are received and completed electronically and require personal computers with reliable Internet access.
Online Master's Degree in Counseling
Those interested in pursuing advanced degrees in counseling may choose online master's degree programs. A variety of areas of specialization are available, and the specific courses taken may depend on an individual student's area of concentration. Most online master's degree programs can be completed in two years or less. An online Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling may require students to complete courses, such as the following:
- Abnormal psychology
- Counseling theory and practice
- Foundation of mental health counseling
An online Master of Science in Family Therapy may involve some of the same courses but also requires students to complete courses specific to the field, including the following:
- Family therapy theories
- Sexuality and intimacy in families
- Couples therapy
- Perspectives in cross-cultural counseling
Although the majority courses can be completed online, some clinical coursework may need to be completed on campus.
Online Doctoral Degree Programs in Counseling
Doctoral degree programs are generally based in research and introduce candidates to advanced topics in the field. Students may explore subjects like psychoeducational consultation and psychodiagnostics. Online doctoral programs in psychology generally lead to the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree. Students may be required to visit campus for certain courses and to receive academic advisement regarding their dissertations.
Related to Counselor Online Courses
- Recently Updated
Find out how to become a certified counselor. Research the education and training requirements and learn about the experience...
Learn how to become a special education counselor. Research the education requirements, internships and licensure you need to...
Find out how to become a youth counselor. Research the education and training requirements and learn about the experience you...
Find out how to become a juvenile counselor. Research the education and training requirements and learn about the experience...
- Children's Counselor: Education and Career Information
- 10 Questions to Ask a School Counselor About College
- Become a Christian Counselor: Education and Career Roadmap
- Online CFP Degrees: Info for Certified Financial Planners
- Bachelor of Arts (BA): Healthcare Management Degree Overview
- Job Description of an Employee Relations Representative
- Associate of Retail Management: Degree Overview
- Child Counselor: Career Information and Requirements
- Become a Behavioral Counselor: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Associate of Applied Science (AAS): Emergency Medical Services Degree Overview
- Medical Laboratory Technician Certificate: Program Overview
- Begin a Career in Cultural Resources Management: Info and Requirements