Credit Counseling Certification and Certificate Programs
Read about credit counseling certificate and certification programs. See what certificate programs cover and learn about professional certification exams for credit counselors.
Credit counseling certificate programs are designed to provide working financial professionals with a better understanding of how to help clients negotiate debt and improve their credit. Many programs are offered through workshops, on-site classes or self-study sequences and award a certificate upon completion. Topics covered include bankruptcy regulations, budgeting strategies and credit law.
Some programs are offered entirely online. These may be offered through colleges and universities or private professional organizations which also issue certification upon completion of the training program.
Certificate program and training courses provide aspiring credit counselors with the knowledge and tools to help customers manage various kinds of credit. Topics covered throughout a curriculum may include:
- Credit counseling techniques
- Personal finance
- Credit laws and regulations
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
While little employment data is available for credit counselors, job growth in the closely related area of personal financial advising is expected to increase at a much-faster-than-average rate, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS, www.blg.gov). The BLS also published the median annual salary earned by personal financial advisors as $67,520 in May 2012.
Certification and Continuing Education
Most credit counseling certification organizations require candidates to complete a corresponding training program and exam in order to be awarded certification. Continuing education may be needed in order to maintain or renew certification. The National Association for Certified Credit Counselors and the Associate for Financial Counseling and Planning Education both provide continuing education programs for credit counseling certification.
Related to Credit Counseling Certification
- Recently Updated
Explore certificate programs that might prepare students for careers in credit counseling. See the educational prerequisites...
Education Portal's college courses let you earn credit that you can potentially transfer to 2,000 colleges and universities....
If you've been taking Education Portal's courses to prepare for UExcel exams, then soon you'll be ready to transfer those hard...
If you've been taking Education Portal's courses to prepare for CLEP exams, then soon you'll be ready to transfer those hard...
- Universities with Generous Credit Transfer Policies
- Schools that Accept AP Transfer Credit
- College Student Elisa Fleming Earns College Credit in Two Weeks for Less Than $100
- Top School in Jacksonville, FL, for a Multimedia Degree
- Business Consultant: Job Description and Career Requirements
- Top School in Austin for a Business Finance Degree
- ER Doctor Requirements: Info for Aspiring Emergency Room Doctors
- College Student Gets Paid $1000 for Using Free Course to Earn College Credit
- Get $1000 for Earning College Credit!
- Certified Forensic Scientist: Career Options and Certification Info
- Career Information for a Degree or Certification in Animal Training
- Career Info for a Degree in Clinical Laboratory Assisting