Dietician Courses and Classes Overview
Find out what degree programs have dietician courses among its curricula. Then, read course descriptions of some popular dietician classes found on the path to becoming a dietician.
Dietician courses are available through bachelor's and master's degree programs in dietetics, food science and nutrition. Through these degree programs, students gain the skills necessary to incorporate nutrition into meal planning and menu planning. The curriculum is heavy on social, physical and biological sciences, all of which can influence a dietician's career.
Nearly all dietician degree programs include a practical component, such as a field experience or supervised rotation in related fields like nutrition. While not required, students can pursue a credential to become a registered dietician, which requires the completion of a training program, an internship and an examination.
List of Courses
The following course topics are just some of the content that a dietician would need to know once they work in the field.
Nutrition Science Course
Dietician programs typically begin with an overview of the science behind the human body and nutrition. Students in this dietician course often learn in team settings, using the scientific method to understand the production, processing, evaluation and utilization of foods in nutrition. These classes form the bedrock for a larger program that prepares students for work as professional dieticians.
Food Science Course
In this dietician food science class, students learn the process of providing safe, nutritious and consistent food supplies. Future dieticians study how various food and regulatory agencies mitigate the risks of food supply contamination from organisms and chemicals. These courses are also helpful in understanding how preservation techniques regulate food supplies between times of harvest and times of scarcity.
Community Nutrition Course
Community nutrition courses address nutritional needs for populations, based on available resources. Examples presented include public school food programs and women, infant and children (WIC) food assistance clinics. These courses are typically available for students completing graduate-level degree programs, with roughly a fourth of the course load being didactic and the remainder covering a field experience internship.
Menu Planning Course
Through this course, future dieticians who are planning to enter the restaurant industry, create meals and write menus. Students take into consideration elements that will make the menu more appealing to customers, such as texture and color. Some programs may have students create many different menus for different types of restaurants, special occasions and times of day, so they can come up with wider varieties of food. Contemporary laws in the restaurant industry, such as those pertaining to the disclosure of nutritional information to consumers, are also part of the course.
Trends in Food Course
Students taking this course familiarize themselves with the foods that are currently considered interesting and nutritious. New information about the nutritional value of foods can affect an individual's choice to consume such foods. In this course, students read scientific studies pertaining to trendy foods' nutritional values and incorporate what they learn into creating healthy, nutritional and appealing meals.
Related to Dietician Courses
- Recently Updated
An individual interested in becoming a registered dietician should consider enrolling in a bachelor's program in nutrition or...
A dietician is a professional who gives nutritional advice to clients looking to manage their weight, improve physical...
Get information on certificate, bachelor's degree and master's degree programs for clinical dieticians. Keep reading to learn...
Research the requirements to become a natural health dietician. Learn about the job description and read the step-by-step...
- Online Schools for Aspiring Dietitians: How to Choose
- Setting Students Up for Success with Education Portal's Courses
- How to Guide Students Through Education Portal's Courses
- Sleep Apnea Technician Education Requirements and Career Info
- Airline Security Manager: Job Duties, Salary and Requirements
- College Librarian: Job Description, Duties and Salary
- Top Degree Programs for Human Resource Management - Indianapolis, IN
- The Most Engaging Free Courses: Education-Portal.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Free Courses with the Best User Experience: Education-Portal.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Fireman: Firefighting Job Outlook and Career Profile of a Firefighter
- HVAC Technician: Educational and Career Overview
- Salary and Career Info for a Rental Property Manager
- Court Reporter Training Top Ranked Court Reporting School - Dallas Texas
- English Class Chicago
- Tip and Ring Technician Employment Information and Requirements for Becoming a Tip and Ring Technician
- Fashion Clothes Designer Job Description and Employment Information for a Career in Fashion Clothes Design