Digital Photography Degree Programs in San Antonio, Texas
The San Antonio, TX, area has three schools that offer digital photography programs within a little more than 50 miles of downtown. Learn about degree programs, admission info and program requirements for these schools to make an informed education decision.
San Antonio Digital Photography Programs
At least three schools in the San Antonio area cover digital photography as part of their general photography degree programs. All are less than an hour's drive from the city center. This article also includes a table that compares school types, tuition, graduation rates and percentage of applicants who are accepted.
- Less than 2 miles from downtown, San Antonio College is the most inexpensive option for photography degree programs in San Antonio. It offers an associate's degree. This school also has the lowest student-to-faculty ratio of the schools considered, with 19 students for every faculty member.
- The University of Texas - San Antonio is a large university with four campuses in San Antonio, including a campus right downtown and one about 16 miles for downtown. Students can earn degrees at the bachelor's and master's levels.
- Texas State University - San Marcos is about 50 miles from San Antonio. It offers a bachelor's degree program that acquaints students with alternative and traditional photograph processing. Students can participate in this school's photography exhibitions.
San Antonio College
While most of this school's photography courses provide in-class training, students can also participate in field training through a digital media practicum. Students wishing to continue their education may be able to apply the credit hours earned at this school to a photography program at a 4-year school.
Associate of Arts in Photography
This program requires students to complete 60 credit hours of coursework. Students take 2 general photography courses that focus on digital and film camera operation basics and photography techniques. Students may also choose elective courses in news photography, photographic perceptual design and portrait photography.
University of Texas - San Antonio
This school offers both undergraduate and graduate programs in photography that include coursework in digital photography. All photography students participate in a major exhibition prior to graduation.
Bachelor of Fine Arts with a Concentration in Photography
This 120-credit hour program requires students to complete courses covering topics in art history, modern art, black and white photography, digital photography concepts and tools, photography genres, darkroom techniques, alternative processes, controlled lighting and primitive technologies.
Master of Fine Arts with a Concentration in Photography
Master of Fine Arts students are required to take classes in studio art and art history. The photography concentration offers courses that cover topics in related art forms, digital processes, digital media integration, black and white techniques, color techniques and non-silver processes. Before the end of this 60-credit hour program, students take a graduate photography studio seminar course and complete several progress and candidacy reviews, an oral examination and a master's thesis.
Texas State University - San Marcos
This school offers an undergraduate program in photography that teaches techniques for both film and digital photography. Photography students must also complete two senior thesis courses and show their best work at this school's senior art show.
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Photography
All Bachelor of Fine Arts students take courses in art history, 2-D and 3-D art, art foundations, digital art and drawing. Concentration courses cover introductory and advanced topics in digital and film photography, digital imaging, color photography and studio photography. A minimum of 124 credit hours are required for students to graduate from this program.
Comparison of Schools
The three schools offering photography programs in San Antonio are similar in some regards, such as size, and different in others. This table offers a side-by-side comparison of various aspects to help prospective students make a decision.
|San Antonio College||University of Texas - San Antonio||Texas State University - San Marcos|
|School Type||2-year, public||4-year, public||4-year, public|
|Total Enrollment (2011)||25,567*||30,968*||34,087*|
|Campus Setting||Large city||Large city||Distant town|
|Tuition and Fees (2011-2012)||$1,952 in-district; $3,632 in-state; $6,992 out-of-state*||$7,042 in-state; $14,554 out-of-state*||$7,264 in-state; $15,402 out-of-state*|
|% of First-Year Students Receiving Some Form of Financial Aid (2011)||64%*||82%*||77%*|
|Acceptance Rate (2011)||N/A - Open admission||83%*||77%*|
|Retention Rate (2011)||57% for full-time students; 42% for part-time students*||62% for full-time students; 48% for part-time students*||79% for full-time students; 69% for part-time students*|
|Graduation Rate (2011)||5% (17% transfer-out rate)*||27% (32% transfer-out rate)*||56%*|
Source: *NCES College Navigator.
Related to Digital Photography Degree Programs in San Antonio
- Recently Updated
Explore associate degree programs in digital photography. Learn about the curriculum, employment outlook, salary trends and...
Digital photographers capture images with a digital camera and later edit and manipulate them using a computer. Degree programs...
Research what kinds of classes and experiences are typically included in Associate of Applied Science in Digital Photography...
Whether you're just buying your first DSLR or looking for a few pro tips on off-camera lighting, the blogosphere has everything...
- Online Associates Degree in Digital Photography: Program Information
- Masters Degree in Digital Photography: Program Overview
- Digital Photographer: How to Start a Career in Digital Photography
- Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS): Degree Overview
- Associate of Robotics: Degree Overview
- M.Ed. in Reading Curriculum & Instruction: Degree Overview
- MBA in Information Technology: Degree Overview
- Bachelor of Science (BS): Digital Photography Degree Overview
- Wildlife Photography School and Training Program Information
- Master of Education (M.Ed): Technology and Design Degree Overview
- Master of Education (M.Ed): Secondary Education Degree Overview
- Top College in Augusta, GA, for Finance Classes
Perfect School Search
- A - E
- F - N
- O - W
- Nearby States