Teaching Special Education - Mental Retardation
Special education teachers working with individuals who have intellectual disabilities (mental retardation) must know how to meet their students' unique needs. A special education teaching program covers methods for leading and instructing students with intellectual disabilities.
Inside Teaching Special Education: Mental Retardation
Mental retardation is defined as a condition that includes below-average intellectual function and a lack of typical daily living skills. Students enrolled in a special education (special ed) degree program discover basic methods to help individuals with intellectual disabilities learn. Methods can include problem-solving assignments, individualized instruction and small-group work. Prospective teachers also learn what special accommodations are needed when students take tests. Working as a special education teacher with a concentration in intellectual disabilities requires you to be creative, patient and willing to motivate students.
Special education teachers usually go through more training than do general education teachers. In order to teach individuals with intellectual disabilities, special ed teachers need to earn at least a bachelor's degree in education, specializing in special ed or intellectual disabilities. Some universities offer graduate special education programs with concentrations in intellectual disabilities. The following are various options for earning your degree or certification.
- Special Education Degree
- Childhood Special Education Degree
- Associate's Degree in Special Education
- Master's Degree for Special Education Instructors
Distance Learning Options
If you wish to take online courses, they are widely available in special education. Explore the pages below for more information.
- Online Associate's Degree in Special Education
- Online Courses in Special Education
- Online Master's Degree in Special Education
Every state requires special ed teachers to obtain a license. Requirements vary depending on the state, so students should check with their state Department of Education.
There are many careers related to teaching students with intellectual disabilities. Here are a few related special education careers that may interest you.
- Special Education Assistant
- Special Education Teacher
- Special Education Director
- Special Education Instructional Assistant
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), prospects for this job are strong due to steady increase in students with specific needs (www.bls.gov). The BLS projected a 6 percent increase in positions for special education teachers from 2012-2022. As of May 2013, the BLS reported the mean salary for preschool special education teachers as $55,990; kindergarten and elementary school teachers, $56,690; middle school special education teachers, $59,540; and high school special education teachers, $60,410.
Teaching Special Education - Mental Retardation Related Articles
- Recently Updated
This article contains career and training information for students who hope to teach special education courses. See a list of 10 of the top...
People interested in working with children with disabilities or gifted students can pursue studies in special education. Degree holders can...
Teaching special education requires strong interpersonal skills and a solid education in the techniques and methods used in working with...
- Teaching Special Education Diploma Programs in Wisconsin
- Teaching Special Education Degree in Jacksonville
- Teaching Special Education Diploma Programs in Arizona
- Teaching Special Education Degree in Ohio
- Teaching Special Education Diploma Programs in Nashville
- What Can You Do With a Masters in Special Education?
- Special Ed Teachers Continuing Education
- Sports Medicine Therapist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top Computer Information Systems Degree Programs - Long Beach, CA
- Top Criminal Justice & Legal Studies Degree Programs in Atlanta
- Top Master's Program for Healthcare Management - Jacksonville, FL
- Top School in Charleston with Web Designer Degree Programs
Forensic auditing courses teach individuals how to investigate businesses and individuals for fraud, corruption or other crimes. This...
The San Antonio area has three colleges, all within about 50 miles of the city center, that offer digital media programs. Learn about the...
Teaching Special Education - Mental Retardation Related Videos