Teaching elementary school students can be a rewarding career for people who enjoy working with children and want to make a difference in their lives. Keep reading to learn more about the educational requirements and career options in this field.
Inside Elementary School Teaching
Elementary school teachers instruct children from grades K-6 in academic subjects like mathematics, science and language arts. These teachers need to have strong written and oral communication skills; they also should enjoy working with children. In addition, teachers at this level should be patient and dedicated to the emotional and academic well-being of their students.
Working as an elementary school teacher can be rewarding, and people with degrees in a variety of fields may enter this profession. You can learn more about career and degree options in elementary school teaching at Education-Portal.com.
Most elementary school teachers earn a bachelor's degree in elementary education, although individuals can pursue a teaching career after earning a bachelor's degree in another field. Public schools require elementary-level teachers to obtain a license, which is earned by passing one or more state-administered exams. Additional licensure requirements vary but typically include completion of a bachelor's program and a student teaching experience. Individuals who have a bachelor's degree in a subject other than elementary education may qualify for provisional licensure. In some states, this allows aspiring instructors to teach classes while completing required coursework on their own time.
Visit the links below to find out more about undergraduate and graduate degree options in elementary education.
- Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education
- Master's Degree in Elementary Education
- Master's Degree in Education: Technology and Design
- Master's Degree in Education: Reading Curriculum and Instruction
Distance Learning Options
Some schools offer online degree programs in elementary education. Make sure to select a program that prepares you for certification in the state in which you wish to work.
- Online Elementary Education Programs
- Online Elementary Education Master's Program
- Online Degree in Special Education
While most elementary school teachers instruct one class in multiple subjects, some teach children in one subject or focus on teaching students with disabilities. Refer to the articles below for several career options as an elementary school teacher.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the number of employed elementary school teachers was expected to increase by 12% from 2012-2022, which is about average compared to all occupations. Opportunities are expected to be most favorable in the southern and western regions of the United States. The BLS also reports that those who teach in certain specialty areas, such as ESL or special education, could have an edge when looking for a position. May 2013 data from the BLS shows that elementary teachers earned a mean annual wage of $56,320.
Teaching, Elementary Related Articles
- Recently Updated
Teachers of young children play a key role in shaping the development of their students. They are employed at the preschool, kindergarten...
Students who own a degree or certification in teaching elementary school curriculums may become elementary school teachers, who introduce...
Elementary education typically focuses on teaching students from the kindergarten level up through eighth or ninth grade. Bachelor's and...
- Elementary Teaching Courses in SC
- Elementary Teaching Diploma Programs in Massachusetts
- Elementary Teaching Degree in Dallas
- Elementary Teaching Courses in Hawaii
- Elementary Teaching Courses in Austin
- Requirements to Become an Elementary Math Teacher
- Elementary Physical Education Job Descriptions, Duties and Requirements
- Information Technology - Network Administration Bachelor's Degree
- Bachelor of Science (BS): Psychology Degree Overview
- Associate of Computer Systems & Networking Technology: Degree Overview
- Top University for Learning Electronics Technology - Norfolk, VA
- Animal Doctor Salary: How Much Do Animal Doctors Earn?
Learn about bachelor's degree programs in mathematics for secondary teachers and what course topics they may include. Read on to check the...
If you're interested in completing computer repair training online, you can enroll in an individual course. You can also complete classes...
Teaching, Elementary Related Videos