Drafting and Design Engineering
Students who want to be a part of the building process should consider being a drafter or designer. Drafting and design engineering can teach students how to create plans and designs that can be followed by construction workers, architects and product manufacturers.
Inside Drafting and Design Engineering
Creators of blueprints and drawings, drafters and design engineers work for manufacturing plants, construction agencies, design firms or engineering companies. Drafting and design engineers in construction fields might use an architect's rough drawings to create clear and representational diagrams, ensuring that buildings are made to exact specifications. Drafters and designers can also work in various facets of business and manufacturing from aerospace to home appliances.
Educational programs in drafting and design engineering teach the basics of computer-aided drafting and design. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment opportunities are best for those who possess good drafting and design skills, an understanding of drafting specifications and knowledge of technology (www.bls.gov). Math, science, communication and problem-solving skills are also important in the drafting and design engineering field.
According to the BLS, employment of drafters was projected to increase four percent from 2008-2018. In May 2010, architectural and civil drafters earned an average salary of $48,740 per year, the BLS reported, while electrical and electronics drafters made an average annual wage of $55,960. Mechanical drafters earned an average annual salary of $51,200, while all other types of drafters made an average wage of $48,190 per year, according to BLS data.
Learn More About Drafting and Design Engineering
Aspirants can choose to enroll in a drafting and design engineering program or perhaps a program in computer-aided drafting and design. Whatever path you choose, Education-Portal.com can assist you with education and career information.
Studies in drafting and engineering might include structural systems, technical systems, residential architectural design and mechanical drawing, among others. Programs range from certificates to bachelor's degrees.
- Undergraduate Drafting and Design Certificate
- AutoCAD Drafting Associate Degree
- Associate Degree in Mechanical Drafting
- Drafting and Design Bachelor's Degree
Distance Learning Options
Online learning in this field includes drafting and design classes and degree programs. Read through these Education-Portal articles to learn more about your online options.
- Drafting Classes Online
- Online AutoCAD Diploma
- Online Computer Drafting and Design Associate Degree
- Online Bachelor's Degree in Computer Drafting and Design
Drafters and design engineers might find employment in the construction field, as well as engineering, manufacturing and architect businesses, among others.
Drafters and design engineers can find careers in a variety of specialized fields. Options are available in automotive design and architectural drafting, among others.
Drafting and Design Engineering Related Articles
- Recently Updated
Design engineers develop or modify designs for various products after determining the required characteristics, which include size,...
Engineering drafting and design programs prepare students to draw plans for engineers in a variety of concentrations including civil,...
Drafting and design technologists make draw schematics used in construction and manufacturing. They can specialize in mechanical device...
- Drafting and Design Degrees in Seattle, WA
- Engineering Design Degree
- Drafting and Design Career Training in Miami
- Drafting and Design Career Training in Oklahoma City
- Drafting and Design Degree Program in Texas
- Drafting Engineering Education and Training Program Information
- Top CAD Drafting and Design Degree Programs - Houston, TX
- Student Services Coordinator: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Thoracic Medicine Specialist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Technical Services Manager: Job Duties and Education Requirements
- Neurologist: Job Requirements and Description
- Public Affairs Officer: Job Description and Education Information
Medical aides are more typically referred to as medical assistants, and there are certification options for medical assistants who have...
Learn how to become a licensed therapist. Research the job description and the education and licensing requirements and find out how to...
Drafting and Design Engineering Related Videos