CAD Drafting and Design Technology
Computer-aided drafting and design (also known as CADD) plays an integral role in the construction and manufacturing industries. If you are good at drawing and enjoy taking ideas from concept to concrete, then an education program in CADD technology may interest you.
Inside Computer-Aided Drafting and Design Technology
CADD operators use computer programs to create drawings that are used in building or manufacturing. Drafters may be employed in the architectural and engineering fields, creating drawings that provide the technical specifications of buildings. A significant portion of drafters also work in fields such as manufacturing or electrical design. Manufacturers use drafters to supply visual guidelines for exactly how parts should be made, detailing dimensions, procedures and materials that should be used. Electrical drafters use the same computer programs to visually map out electric wiring diagrams for electricians who install and repair electrical components of buildings.
If this type of work appeals to you, the following Education-Portal.com resources offer more information on career paths related to CADD technology.
CADD technicians usually complete some postsecondary education before entering the workforce. Computer-aided drafting and design classes are offered at many technical schools, community colleges and 4-year universities. Technical colleges may offer a more task-specific education in CADD operation, while a university program generally teaches not only the skill of drafting but also a basic understanding of engineering practices and building materials. Although it is not required, some drafters may also earn certification by taking the Drafter Certification Examination given by the American Design Drafting Association (www.adda.org). Check out these articles to explore some of the degree options related to this field of study.
- Associate's Degree in Computer-Aided Drafting and Design
- CAD Technician Certificate and Degree Programs
- Architectural Drafting Certificate
- Associate's Degree for Architectural Drafting
- Top Schools for Computer-Aided Drafting and Design Technology
Aspiring CADD professionals can find fully-online diploma and associate's degree programs in their chosen field. Visit the following links to get information on these distance learning options.
- Online Architectural Drafting Course
- Online Bachelor's Degree for CAD
- Online Architectural Drafting Degree
Many career options exist for those with CADD skills. Below are only a few of the possible career choices.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment of drafters is projected to change little if at all between 2012 and 2022 (www.bls.gov). The efficiency created by technology, including CADD, limits the number of new professionals needed in the field--particularly in the area of architectural and civil drafting. Competition is expected to be strong for drafting positions because the number of applicants exceeds the number of available jobs. BLS data from May 2013 shows that architectural and civil drafters earned a mean wage of $51,250.
CAD Drafting and Design Technology Related Articles
- Recently Updated
Just 28 miles beyond the San Diego, CA, city limits is Palomar College in San Marco. The school offers a slew of design technology and...
Review mechanical drafting design associate's degree programs here. Continue reading to discover examples of course topics, and explore the...
Gwinnett Technical College is located in Lawrenceville, GA, about 9.4 miles from Duluth, GA. The college offers over 140 degree programs....
- Drafting and Design Degrees in Seattle, WA
- Drafting and Design Career Training in Miami
- Drafting and Design Career Training in Oklahoma City
- Drafting and Design Degree Program in Texas
- Drafting and Design Degree Program in Norfolk, VA
- Top CAD Drafting and Design Degree Programs - Houston, TX
- Top CAD and Design Technology Degree Programs - Dallas, TX
- Master of Arts in Instructional Leadership: Degree Overview
- Associate of Science (AS): Business Administration Degree Overview
- Top School in San Bernardino, CA, for Becoming a Medical Assistant
- Continuing Education Options for Anesthesia Professionals
- BS in Sales & Marketing Management: Degree Overview
A Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree program emphasizes coursework in the sciences, mathematics or career-specific topics over coursework in...
Pre-kindergarten teachers, also called pre-k or preschool teachers, instruct children under the age of five using creative methods such as...
CAD Drafting and Design Technology Related Videos