Mechanic and Repair Technologies
Mechanic and repair technologies workers are instrumental in keeping companies and public citizens moving. Read on to learn how to jump-start your career.
Inside Mechanic and Repair Technologies
Automotive mechanics and repair workers maintain and repair vehicles that run on fuel. There are a variety of options available to those interested in getting an education in mechanic and repair technologies. On-the-job training is common, but according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employers prefer to hire workers who have completed formal training programs (www.bls.gov).
If you are knowledgeable about automobiles and have excellent analytical abilities, a career in automobile mechanics and repair may be right for you. To get more information on this field, explore the following resources from Education-Portal.com.
Training and Certification Information
With continuing developments in automotive technology and complex electrical engines replacing traditional mechanical ones, students increasingly rely on an education to be better equipped for solving problems. Automotive mechanic technology programs offer courses such as heating and air conditioning, brake systems, computerized engine controls, fuel systems and engine repair. Coursework in math, mechanical drawing, blueprint reading, computers and electronics may also be pursued by students.
The BLS reports that many employers expect their technicians to have certification and that the standard credential is offered by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence. Requirements include acceptable experience (which may include formal training in the field) and the successful completion of an examination. Several certification areas are available, such as engine repair, brakes, electrical systems, and air conditioning/heating.
While a degree may not be required for employment, more and more employers prefer aspiring mechanics to have some formal training. Take a look at these articles to learn more about what formal education programs entail in this field.
- Associate Degree in Automotive Maintenance Technology
- Associate of Collision Repair and Refinishing Technology
- Associate of Diesel and Truck Service Management
- Bachelor's Degree in Automotive Technology
- Bachelor's Degree in Automobile Maintenance
Several schools and colleges offer online programs in the foundations of automobile mechanics.
- Auto Body Repair Technician: Online Diploma
- Online Auto Mechanic Colleges
- Online Motorcycle Mechanic Training
- Online Auto Mechanic Certificate
- Online Auto Mechanic Masters Degree Program
There are many job opportunities for those with an educational background in auto mechanics. Visit the following links to get more information on what it takes to enter the field of mechanic and repair technologies.
- Career Information in Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Certified Mechanic
- How to Become a Mechanic
- Learn to Be a Mechanic
According to the BLS, employment of automotive service technicians and mechanics is expected to increase nine percent in the 2012-2022 decade. Those who complete formal education in the field and have skills in working with advanced technologies will likely have better prospects when on the job hunt. BLS data from May 2013 shows that automotive mechanics and techs earned a mean wage of $39,450 annually.
Mechanic and Repair Technologies Related Articles
- Recently Updated
This article contains education and occupation information for those pursuing a career in mechanic and repair technologies. The article...
Learn about a career in mechanic and repair technologies. Research the career options, education and certification requirements, salary...
Learn how to become a bulldozer mechanic. Research the education, licensure and experience requirements for starting a career in bulldozer...
- Colorado (CO): University and College System
- Casting Director: Job Description, Duties and Education Requirements
- Best CAD Drafting & Architectural Design Degrees in Long Beach, CA
- Court Referral Officer: Job Duties and Requirements
- Top School with Operations Management Degree Programs - Baltimore, MD
Learn what segmental pavers do. Find out what kind of education and training you need for employment. See the career prospects to decide if...
Get details about distance learning law and MBA degree programs. Research postsecondary school and education options, and gather details...
- Medical Sonographers Job Description and Info for Students Considering a Career in Medical Sonography
- Construction Inspector Certifications
- Casino Security Officer Job Outlook and Requirements for Starting a Career in Casino Security
- Radiology Technology Degree
- GED Preparation: How to Study for the Essay Portion of the GED
Mechanic and Repair Technologies Related Videos