Alternative and Complementary Medicine
Individuals interested in learning about non-conventional practices of medicine may want to study alternative and complementary medicine, which includes the fields of hypnotherapy, acupuncture and chiropractic care. Job and education requirements vary by field, and a state license is typically needed before you can practice in this occupations.
Inside Alternative and Complementary Medicine
The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) describes alternative medicine as one in which professionals use non-conventional methods to treat patients. It describes complementary medicine as a blend of traditional techniques with alternative medicine. Some career choices for alternative and complementary medicine practitioners are acupuncture, hypnotherapy, chiropractic, massage therapy and naturopathy.
Some alternative medicine fields may require a college degree. Both formal education programs as well as training programs are available in alternative medicine, including acupuncture and massage therapy. Coursework varies by field. Licensing requirements vary by state and occupation. Typically, individuals must pass a written examination and complete continuing education courses to renew their licenses.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates about 3.2 million new jobs in the healthcare industry between 2008 and 2018 (www.bls.gov). It also predicted that hiring in this field will rise by 22% through 2018. According to the BLS, the mean salary in May 2010 for health diagnosing and treating practitioners, including alternative and complementary medicine professionals, was $81,830 a year.
Learn More About Alternative and Complementary Medicine
There are many professions available in the field of alternative and complementary medicine. Education-Portal.com has the information and resources to help you learn more about the type of practices and occupations available in this area of the healthcare industry.
There are various education programs available in alternative and complementary medicine. Below are some of the programs available.
- Degree Program Information for Alternative Medicine
- Degree Program Information for Complementary Medicine
- Diploma and Certificate Programs for Alternative Medicine
- Program Information for Alternative Medicine Ph.D
- Program Information for Complementary Medicine Ph.D
There are a variety of career choices available in alternative and complementary medicine. Here are some of the career options available to you.
- Requirements and Options for Careers in Alternative Healing
- Career Information and Requirements for Alternative Health Practitioners
- Career Information for Complementary Health Practitioners
- Information and Requirements Regarding an Alternative Medicine Career
Distance Learning Options
Distance learning programs are offered for certain occupations in alternative medicine. Here are some of the practices and programs that are available online.
Alternative and Complementary Medicine Related Articles
- Recently Updated
Complementary medicine, sometimes referred to as alternative medicine, focuses on providing natural remedies to patients who suffer from...
Alternative medicine programs combine disciplines such as herbology, nutrition, massage, homeopathy and spiritual wellness. Students...
Complementary medicine is a broad term that focuses on non-traditional methods of health care, such as homeopathy, acupuncture and herbal...
- Best School for Biomedical Engineering Technology Degrees - Columbus, OH
- Top Ranked School for a Master's in Accounting Degree - Jacksonville, FL
- Best School for Electronics and Electrical Engineering - Phoenix, AZ
- Top Ranked Office Management and Office Administration Degrees - Miami, FL
- Best School for a Business Administration Degree - Kansas City, MO
Retail managers oversee a store's operations and staff. Merchandisers determine how a product looks the best so that it sells well. A degree...
Organizational developers are responsible for implementing improvements in the day-to-day operations of businesses, schools and non-profit...
Alternative and Complementary Medicine Related Videos