Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
Medical insurance billing and coding specialists play an important role in health care and are vital team members in a medical office. Read on to learn more about medical insurance billing and coding professionals.
Inside Medical Billing and Coding
Medical insurance billing and coding specialists are sometimes referred to as medical records or health information technicians. These professionals are a key component in keeping doctor offices and hospitals running. Often, their work consists of updating patient accounts by processing medical records and data, assigning codes to insurance claims and processing these claims. They may also contact patients regarding billing and insurance questions. Medical insurance billing and coding professionals are ultimately responsible for making sure that patients and insurance companies are billed correctly by health care providers.
The path into the medical insurance billing and coding field usually begins with students enrolling in a diploma, certificate or degree training program, which are typically offered at community colleges and technical schools. Classes may include medical terminology, clinical classification, coding systems, claims processing, medical insurance, medical reimbursement, anatomy and physiology.
With technology and medicine constantly evolving, there will be numerous job opportunities within this field for those with up-to-date training. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment in medical billing and coding would increase by 20% or more between 2008 and 2018 (www.bls.gov). This employment growth would be faster than the average for most occupations and was expected to happen in a variety of environments, such as outpatient care centers, physician offices, nursing care facilities and hospitals. The BLS reported that the mean annual wage for medical records and health information technicians in May 2010 was $35,010.
Learn More About Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
Those interested in becoming a medical insurance billing and coding professional can visit Education-Portal.com for a variety of helpful education and career resources. Learn about the training, career and online learning options available to you in this quickly expanding profession.
The training options for this occupation prepare students for entry-level positions in insurance billing and includes diploma and associate degree programs.
- Degree Options in Medical Billing and Coding
- Top Schools with Programs in Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
- Diploma Program in Insurance Coding
- Associate in Applied Science in Medical Insurance Billing
There are a variety of specializations for those with training in this field, including insurance coders and biller, billing coordinator or patient service coordinator.
- Inpatient or Outpatient Coding Jobs
- Insurance Coder
- Medical Coding Specialist
- Medical Billing and Coding Job Options
Distance Learning Options
Distance learning programs are becoming a very popular choice among many students, because of the convenience and flexibility that the programs provide.
Medical Insurance Billing and Coding Related Articles
- Recently Updated
The Community College of Baltimore County is a public, 2-year community college in Baltimore, Maryland. Students interested in becoming...
Individuals who enjoy working on computers and have a great eye for detail may find medical insurance billing and coding ideal careers....
Medical coding assigns numerical codes to medical diagnoses and procedures These codes are used when billing insurance companies for...
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding Degrees in Florida
- Medical Billing and Coding Degrees in Texas
- Medical Billing and Coding Degrees in Atlanta
- Medical Coding and Billing Degree Programs in Union, NJ
- Medical Billing and Coding Degrees in Concord, NH
- Medical Billing and Coding Job Options and Requirements
- Online Associate Degree in Medical Billing and Coding: Program Info
- Top School for an Electronics and Computer Technology Degree - New York, NY
- Top Retail Management and Merchandising Degree Programs - Bakersfield, CA
- Top School for a Master's in Accounting and Financial Management - Atlanta, GA
- Top Construction Management Degree Program - Chicago, IL
- Top Health Information Technology Degree Program - Columbus, OH
Saint Leo University, located 35 miles outside of Tampa, offers a Bachelor of Arts in Human Resource Management and a Master of Business...
There are 13 schools within Florida that have journalism programs. Read an overview of ten of the largest schools' programs, requirements...
Medical Insurance Billing and Coding Related Videos