Public Health Nurse or Community Nurse
Public and community health nurses are registered nurses whose primary duties are to educate the public about health and safety related issues. Nurses in this specialty address the specific needs of many different communities.
Inside Public and Community Nursing
Public health nurses and community health nurses are registered nurses who work with a variety of communities to address their specific health and safety concerns. In addition to health and safety education, public and community health nurses assess and prioritize health and safety concerns, as well as create and implement healthcare and safety plans. Additional duties can include administering healthcare services and advocating for healthcare improvements. Public and community health nurses are typically employed by the government, businesses and educational institutions. Those who are compassionate, enjoy educating others and have an aptitude for science may enjoy working in these occupations.
The first step to working in the field of public and community health nursing is to become a registered nurse. Becoming a registered nurse involves completing an approved nursing program, usually resulting in a bachelor's degree in nursing, and passing a national licensing exam. Nursing courses typically include health, physical science and behavioral science. Programs typically include clinical experiences that can be completed in a public or community health setting. Specialization in public or community health nursing can also be obtained by completing an advanced degree program or a specialty certification program. Nurses can expect to take continuing education courses throughout their career.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicted a 22% growth in employment for registered nurses from 2008-2018 (www.bls.gov). As of May 2010, the middle-half salary range for registered nurses was $52,980-$79,020. Employment rates for registered nurses typically vary by industry, specialization and geographic setting.
Learn More About Public and Community Nursing
Degree programs for aspiring public and community health nurses range from associate to the doctoral level. Learn all the education and career information you need about these occupations at Education-Portal.com.
Nursing degree programs offer a variety of educational levels. Click on the links below to learn more information.
- Associate Degree Program in Nursing
- Bachelor's Degree Program in Nursing
- Master's Degree Program in Community Health Nursing
- Master's Degree Program Information for Public Health and Nursing
- Ph.D. Program in Nursing
To help decide if a career as a public or community health nurse is right for you, links to salary and career information are posted below.
- Registered Nurse Career Information
- Registered Nurse Job Information
- Nursing Career Information
- Community Nurse
Distance Learning Options
Many nursing degree programs are offered online. Distance learning is a convenient way to earn a degree while juggling a busy life. Below are links to nursing degree program information.
- Online Associate Degree Classes in Nursing
- Online Undergraduate Nursing Programs
- Online Master's Degree Programs in Nursing
- Online Certified Nurse Practitioner Information
- Online Ph.D. Degree Program in Nursing
See the links below for more information about certification requirements to for public and community nursing.
- Licensing Requirements for Nurses
- Licensing Requirements for Nurse Practitioners
- Registration Requirements for Nurses
- Certification for Community Health Nurses
- Certification Requirements for Public Health Nurses
Continuing Education Requirements
Regardless of specialty, nurses are typically required to complete continuing education. Click on the links below for more information.
Public Health Nurse or Community Nurse Related Articles
- Recently Updated
Community health nurses are registered nurses (RNs) that utilize principles from nursing and public health to develop, implement and promote...
A public health master's degree program focuses on the conditions and needs of working in a community health center or another nonprofit...
A Master of Science degree program in public health typically focuses on research and the investigation of health issues that occur within a...
- Top Medical Assisting School - Cincinnati, OH
- Top University with a Psychology Degree - Bakersfield, CA
- Top University with a Marketing Degree Concentration - Jacksonville, FL
- Top School for Earning a Degree in Information Technology - Fort Wayne, IN
- Top Ranked Software Engineering Degree - Colorado Springs, CO
Graduate degree programs in international marketing explore business practices and ideas used in diverse cultures as well as the modern...
Special effects training is often found within larger education programs relating to animation, digital video, graphic design or game art....
Public Health Nurse or Community Nurse Related Videos