Why WGU is Different:
- Affordable — WGU charges tuition at a flat rate every six months, so you're simply paying for the time you need to learn what you need to learn and demonstrate your competence.
- Competency-Based, Not Credit Hour Based — WGU's online degrees are based on competencies as opposed to seat time or credit hours. Your progress is determined by assessments (such as tests, projects, assignments, etc.) which measure your skills and knowledge in your field of study, which can ultimately save you both time and money.
- You Choose When and Where You Study — Online learning "WGU-style" is quite flexible.
- You Get Mentoring and Support — WGU won't leave you on your own to figure out what resources are available to you. You will work with a dedicated faculty mentor, and course mentors can give you additional support. You can even interact with an online learning community of students in your same program.
Tuition & Aid
WGU allows me the freedom to work when I can, and still fulfill my other responsibilities and obligations.
— Danielle Kennedy, Master of Arts in English Language Learning
WGU has provided me with a lot of amazing career opportunities. People are aware that a high-quality student comes out of WGU. They are motivated, hard-working, and driven individuals. I have had at least six job offers at local schools to come and work for them, just because of WGU.
— Carrie Mair, Master of Arts in Science Education
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's situation. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still have questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers & advice.
About Western Governors University:
Western Governors University provides an innovatively efficient way to get the respected and accredited education you want. By emphasizing mastery of essential skills and knowledge instead of accumulating credit hours, WGU's competency-based learning approach to earning a degree rewards focused, hard-working professionals. Progress toward your online degree is based on passing rigorous assessments (such as tests, projects, assignments, etc.) that measure your skills and knowledge in your field of study.
With more than 50 degree programs in education, business, healthcare, and information technology, WGU's rigorous yet flexible approach gives the university a unique advantage over other online programs.
WGU's competency-based approach gives you the flexibility to use your existing knowledge and experience to pass your assessments as quickly as you can. You pay one flat rate per six-month term, so if you're able to pass the assessments at a faster pace, you can save time and money.
Western Governors University is the only university to have received simultaneous accreditation by four regional accrediting commissions. Currently, WGU's "home" accrediting commission is the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, the same organization that accredits such leading institutions as the University of Washington, University of Oregon, University of Utah, Brigham Young University, and many other public and private colleges. The WGU Teachers College was the first exclusively online university to receive accreditation for its degree programs that lead to teacher licensure from the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Additionally, the online bachelor's and master's degree programs in nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
At WGU, students are supported by a mentoring team committed to your success. You'll work with a student mentor and course mentors who will give you support as you progress through your degree program.
Featured on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams in their "What Works" segment, WGU is the recipient of the USDLA 21st Century Award for Best Practices in Distance Learning for 2013, awarded in recognition of their success in expanding access to higher education. TIME Magazine also called WGU "the best relatively cheap university you've never heard of."
- Must be at least 16 years old and have a high school diploma or GED.
Online College of Business
Online College of Health Professions
- B.S. Nursing (RN to BSN)
- M.S. Nursing --Education
- M.S. Nursing --Education (RN to MSN Option)
- M.S. Nursing --Leadership and Management
- M.S. Nursing --Leadership and Management (RN to MSN Option)
- MBA --Healthcare Management
- B.S. in Health Informatics
Online College of Information Technology
- B.S. Business --IT Management
- B.S. Information Tech. --Networks Administration
- B.S. Information Tech. --Networks Design & Mgmt
- B.S. Information Technology --Security
- B.S. Information Technology --Software
- B.S. Software Development
- M.S. Information Technology - Network Management
- MBA --IT Management
- M.S. in Information Security and Assurance
- B.S. in Information Technology
Online Teachers College
- B.A. Interdisciplinary Studies (K-8)
- B.A. Mathematics (5-9 or 5-12)
- B.A. Science (5-12, Biological Science)
- B.A. Science (5-12, Chemistry)
- B.A. Science (5-12, Geosciences)
- B.A. Science (5-12, Physics)
- B.A. Science (5-9)
- B.A. Special Education
- M.A. English Language Learning (PK-12)
- M.A. Mathematics Education (K-6, 5-9, or 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (5-12, Biological Science)
- M.A. Science Education (5-12, Chemistry)
- M.A. Science Education (5-12, Geosciences)
- M.A. Science Education (5-12, Physics)
- M.A. Science Education (5-9)
- M.A. Teaching (K-8)
- M.A. Teaching --Mathematics (5-9 or 5-12)
- M.A. Teaching --Science (5-9 or 5-12)
- M.A. Teaching --Social Science (5-12)
- M.S. Educational Leadership
- M.S. Special Education (K-12)
- Post-bacc Teacher Prep Prgm (K-8)
- Post-bacc Teacher Prep Prgm --Math (5-9 or 5-12)
- Post-bacc Teacher Prep Prgm --Science (5-9 or 5-12)
- M.Ed. In Instructional Design
- M.Ed. In Learning and Technology
- M.S. in Curriculum and Instruction
- Endorsement Preparation Program in ELL (PK-12)
- Endorsement Preparation Program in Educational Leadership
- Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Preparation Program - Social Science (5-12)
Get your customized answers
Simply complete the form below to get program details, tuition, start dates, financial aid, and how to choose the right program for you.