Distance Learning Certificates and Degrees in Disaster Management
A small, but growing, number of schools are offering distance learning programs related to disaster management. Programs may be available at the certificate and degree level. People embarking on a career in disaster management may earn their initial degree in a distance learning program, or may earn a credential to enhance an existing career if they are working professionals.
How a Distance Learning Disaster Management Program Works
Distance learning programs differ from traditional, on-campus programs in that the learning doesn't take place in a classroom environment. Rather, students study materials, view lectures, read assignments and complete assessments outside of the classroom. These programs take advantage of computer technology and offer some portions of the class in an online environment. Online coursework may include readings, discussions and quizzes.
Certificate in Disaster Management
Certificate programs in disaster management are shorter than degree programs. Certificates can often be earned either on a stand-alone basis or as part of a larger degree program. The exact requirements to enter a certificate program will vary with the institution offering the program; some may require no previous college-level education while others may require students to have completed some undergraduate work. Some examples of course topics that could be part of a distance learning certificate program in disaster management include:
- Emergency management
- Disaster recovery
- Disaster sustained operations
- Disaster operations planning
Bachelor's Degree in Disaster Management
A bachelor's degree program in disaster management is more comprehensive than a certificate program. Students pursue a major in disaster management in addition to taking their school's general education requirements. Students seeking a bachelor's degree in disaster management often hope to pursue a career within the field and may find employment with local, state and federal governments. Course topics in a distance learning bachelor's program in disaster management include:
- Emergency management system
- Social dimensions of disaster
- Emergency planning
- Risk assessment
- Hazard mitigation
- Disaster response and recovery operations
- Homeland security
Master's Degree in Disaster Management
For students looking to advance to the next level in their careers, a master's degree in disaster management offers an opportunity to improve their knowledge and learn the most up-to-date theories and practices in disaster management. A graduate degree is often a requirement for upper-level planning, administration and implementation positions in disaster management organizations. Distance learning master's degree programs in disaster management often give students the flexibility to continue working while they pursue an advanced degree. Some common course topics in a master's degree in disaster management distance learning program include:
- Evaluating service delivery systems
- Values and ethics
- Hazards and disasters economics
- Management strategies
- Organizational and municipal planning
Related to Distance Learning Education in Disaster Management
- Recently Updated
Students interested in helping communities and businesses prepare for, respond to and recover from manmade and natural...
Disaster management professionals prepare and plan for as well as rebuild from situations like terrorist attacks, floods,...
Emergency and disaster management programs may also be known as crisis management programs. Students seeking a bachelor's...
Disaster management workers prepare and respond to natural and man-made emergencies, usually of a large scale that impact human...
- Online MPA in Disaster and Emergency Management: Degree Overview
- Online Disaster Management Degree Program Information
- Disaster Management Graduate Programs: Degree Options
- TV Editor: Job Description and Requirements for a Career in TV Editing
- Compensation Manager: Job Description & Career Info
- What Can I Do with an Interdisciplinary Bachelors Degree?
- Materials Management Degree Program Overviews
- Doctorate in Disaster Management: Program Information
- Salary and Career Info for a Masters in Disaster and Emergency Management
- Natural Resources Manager: Job Outlook and Career Information
- Bachelor of Architecture Salary Info: What Do Graduates Earn?
- Q.A. Manager: Job Info and Requirements for a Career in Q.A. Management