Distance Learning College Degrees in Spanish Online
A number of schools offer Spanish degrees through distance learning education. Keep reading to explore program levels and options, coursework and online learning methods.
Overview of Programs
Students interested in online Spanish degrees can pursue them through undergraduate or graduate programs. These programs are designed to have the same coursework requirements as those conducted on campus. Schools that offer degrees in this field of study may have a particular focus. For instance, some programs combine Spanish classes and education coursework to help prepare future teachers; other programs could emphasize linguistics or the culture of Spanish-speaking countries. Many programs offer fully-online learning, but could have some live classes and, in some cases, on-site requirements.
University and colleges offer various levels of online undergraduate education, such as bachelor's degrees and certificates. The process of earning an undergraduate degree requires completion of general education coursework, along with courses within the major. Coursework in Spanish degree programs focuses on linguistics, literature and culture. Students earning distance-learning Spanish degrees might take the following courses:
- Spanish conversation
- History of Spain
- Spanish literature
- Spanish composition
- Sociology of Spanish-speaking countries
- Intercultural communication
- Latin American civilization and culture
- Spanish phonetics
Bachelor's degree programs typically take four years to complete, but this varies based on students' enrollment status and whether they have any previous college credits. Admission requirements for an online bachelor's program in Spanish vary, but they require or strongly prefer that students have some level of proficiency in the language.
Students looking for graduate education in Spanish online have options available through a limited number of colleges and universities. Participation in a distance learning Spanish master's program can involve group projects and a research dissertation. These programs provide candidates with comprehensive education in Spanish language and culture. Coursework available online might include the following:
- Women in Spanish literature
- Spanish pedagogy
- Contemporary Spanish literature
- Latin American and Spanish cinema history
- Spanish Literature from the Caribbean
- Spanish grammar
Master's programs, which are usually a two-year commitment, require that students have a bachelor's degree to be eligible for admission. Because these programs are advanced, applicants must demonstrate their oral, written and/or reading skills in Spanish. Schools may also require that students have a minimum number of earned undergraduate credits in Spanish or have completed a Spanish major program.
Online Spanish programs incorporate various educational technologies, including instant messaging, class chat rooms and message boards. Distance learners can access lectures, assignments, videos or learning aids in their school's virtual classroom. Some programs have students use Web cameras to demonstrate oral proficiency during live online classes.
On-site requirements are not typical for online programs in this field, but this varies. Programs geared towards training Spanish teachers require student teaching experiences in a supervised classroom. Other Spanish programs could incorporate mandatory study abroad experiences.
Related to Distance Learning College Degrees Spanish Degree Online
- Recently Updated
Master's degree programs in Spanish are rarely offered online due to a strong need for interaction; however, a few online...
To get a college degree, you have to move to a new town, live in a dorm with a crazy roommate, and completely change your life,...
Students majoring in Spanish have many career options available to them in fields including education, travel, government,...
Learn about degrees and licensure requirements for Spanish translators. Find out about available programs, coursework,...
- PhD in Spanish: Degree Program Information and Requirements
- List of Free Online Spanish Courses and Classes
- Graduate Degrees in Spanish Language: Program Options
- Branding Consultant: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Hair Technician Educational Overview
- Contract Law: Overview of Contract Law Continuing Education for Lawyers
- Top School in Spokane, WA, for a Medical Office Assistant Degree
- Coil Winder Machine Operator Employment Information and Requirements for Becoming a Coil Winder Machine Operator
- Becoming an Artist
- Juvenile Parole Officer Job Description and Info for Students Considering a Career As a Juvenile Parole Officer
- How Universities Are Suffering in the Recession What That Means for You