Distance Learning Counseling Masters Degrees with Course Info
Online and distance learning degree programs in counseling generally culminate in a Master of Science or Master of Education degree, depending on the requirements of the program. Common specialization within graduate degree programs in counseling include school counseling, family therapy counseling and rehabilitative counseling.
Common Courses in Distance Learning Master's in Counseling
Regardless of the type of counseling studied, all online counseling programs teach a few basic skills and provide similar theoretical underpinnings. Most distance-learning counseling programs are taught entirely through online platforms, allowing students to complete assignments and engage in discussions from home. Lectures are delivered through either streaming live video or as recorded videos students can watch at their convenience. Tests may be timed and based online, applicable only on campus or administered by a proxy, depending on the program. Apart from class work, most distance-learning counseling master's degree programs also require a certain amount of clinical experience or on-site training that is completed at an institution specializing in the kind of counseling being taught. Below are some of the courses found in most distance-learning counseling programs:
- Counseling Theory
- Ethical Decision Making in Counseling
- Case Management
- Career and Vocational Issues in Counseling
- Professional Practices in Counseling
Types of Distance Learning Program Specializations
Counseling is a broad field with many different career options. As such, most master's degrees in counseling are split into different specializations. Learn more below.
Master of Science in School Counseling
This program trains students to counsel children at the elementary and secondary level of education. Future counselors are provided with an understanding of counseling theory and developmental psychology; they complete their training at a K-12 school.
- Developmental Psychology
- Educational Theory
- Educational Planning
- Cross-Cultural Counseling
- Career Counseling for Youths
Master of Science in Family Therapy Counseling
This degree trains students to help families deal with emotionally disruptive issues so that they can function healthily. Clinical training is completed at a family therapy clinic.
- Family Therapy Theories
- Substance Abuse in Families
- Family Therapy Assessment
- Couples Therapy
- Sexuality and Intimacy in Families
Master of Science in Rehabilitative Counseling
Rehabilitative counseling focuses on assisting those with disabilities to find careers and adjust to their lives. Training focuses on the medical and psychological aspects of disabilities, and how those with disabilities function within society. Clinical training is provided through supervised visits with those who have disabilities, or through a counseling clinic.
- Medical Aspects of Disability
- Psychosocial Aspects of Disability
- Rehabilitation of Individuals with Severe Mental Illness
- Career and Vocational Issues for Disabled Persons
- Introduction to Rehabilitation Research
Related to Online Master Degree in Counseling
- Recently Updated
Students can take advantage of the many online and offline resources available to find scholarships for a master's degree in...
Most K-12 schools seek counselors with at least a master's degree. Many of the nation's top universities offer master's degrees...
A master's degree in professional counseling prepares students to support and counseling in several potential focus areas....
Graduates with a master's degree in community counseling often find job opportunities at mental health clinics, substance abuse...
- Masters in Community Counseling: Program Information
- PhD in Addictions Counseling: Info on Doctorate Degrees
- Distance Learning Counseling Degrees: Overviews by Program Level
- Careers in Environmental Geography: Job Options and Requirements
- Online Certificate in Information Security: Program Overviews
- Master of Accountancy (MAcc): Accounting Info Systems Degree Overview
- Kitchen Designer Certificate Programs