Distance Learning Guidance Counseling Diploma Programs & Training Info
Those who want to help K-12 students cope with social, emotional and academic challenges can get the training they need by pursuing a guidance counseling - now known as school counseling - degree program. To learn how to get this training through distance learning, keep reading.
Overview of Programs
Diploma programs in guidance or school counseling aren't available, but many schools - including public universities and private online institutions - offer distance learning graduate-level programs in the field. A master's degree is the standard requirement for those seeking licensure as a school counselor, and some graduate certificates are available to those who already have relevant master's degrees but need to meet additional requirements to get a state license. These programs may deliver all or most of the courses online, but internships are required to get experience.
Master's Degree Programs
Open to students with bachelor's degrees, distance learning and traditional on-campus master's degree programs in school counseling can culminate in a Master of Education or Master of Arts. Online master's degree programs in this field, which take about 1-2 years to finish, may require short on-campus residencies. Usually lasting a semester, internships can be arranged in a K-12 school in the graduate student's area and require weekly participation. Online coursework in these programs may include the following:
- Developmental psychology
- Counseling methods
- Multicultural counseling
- Elementary school counseling
- Middle school/junior high school counseling
- High school counseling
- Personality and development
- Career counseling
- Ethics in counseling
Graduate Certificate Programs
Graduate certificate programs in guidance counseling or school counseling are designed for students who already hold a master's degree in counseling and who wish to become licensed school counselors in a specific state. These programs prepare students for state licensure exams and require an internship. They typically contain four to six courses and can can be completed within one year. Online graduate certificate programs may offer the following courses:
- School counseling principles
- Family systems
- Program development
- Child and adolescent counseling
- Administration of school counseling services
- Case management
Some online courses are taught through live Web lectures, while others may use recorded videos or text files to present lecture material. Professors upload course material onto Blackboard or another course management system so students can view class documents, complete assignments and take part in class discussions. Message boards, chat rooms and Web conferencing may be used to foster interaction among classmates and instructors.
Related to Online Training Programs in Guidance Counseling
- Recently Updated
Explore Ph.D. degree programs that are related to guidance counseling. Read about prerequisites and common course topics for...
Guidance counseling involves working with children to aid and develop goals for their future. Though most commonly associated...
School counselors are needed at all levels of education to help students cope with and understand personal, behavioral and...
Learn about continuing education requirements for guidance counselors. Discover where to find these courses and find out about...
- Top Schools for School Counseling and Guidance Programs
- Top Schools for Counseling and Guidance
- Online Masters in School Guidance Counseling: Degree Program Info
- Customer Service Representative: Job Duties, Requirements & Career Info
- Speech Writing Career Information and Requirements
- Master Control Operator: Salary and Career Info
- Assistant Art Director: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Online Masters Degree in Elementary Guidance Counseling
- Online Degrees in School Guidance Counseling by Program Level
- Analytical Chemist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top Degrees for Electronics Technology - Indianapolis, IN
- Medical Assistant Specialist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements