Distance Learning Diploma Programs in Guidance Counseling with Training Info
Guidance counseling is an older term for school counseling, and degree programs in this field are typically referred to as school counseling programs. Distance learning programs are available in school counseling where students learn to help elementary and high school students cope with social and emotional problems, meet academic challenges and learn interpersonal skills. High school level counselors also help prepare students for college or provide career advice.
Distance Learning Master's Programs in Guidance Counseling
Both distance learning and traditional on-campus master's degree programs in guidance counseling or school counseling can culminate in a Master of Education or Master of Arts. Some online courses are taught through live web lectures while others are taught using Blackboard, an online course management platform. Professors upload course material onto Blackboard, and students can view course material, chat with classmates and instructors and submit assignments on Blackboard. Most online master's degree programs in guidance counseling require students to spend 2-3 weeks on campus to complete clinical training courses that cannot be taught effectively online.
Guidance counseling or school counseling programs cover topics that range from developmental psychology to career counseling. The curricula for both online and on-campus programs typically include the follow courses:
- Counseling methods
- Multicultural counseling
- Elementary school counseling
- Middle school/junior high school counseling
- High school counseling
- Personality and development
- Career counseling
- Ethics in counseling
Students must also complete a practicum and an internship at nearby locations. Practica and internships provide students with practical counseling experience in a school setting.
Online Graduate Certificate Programs
Graduate certificate programs in guidance counseling or school counseling are designed for students who already hold a master's degree in counseling and who wish to become licensed school counselors in a specific state. Graduate certificate programs in school counseling prepare students for state licensure exams. Most programs can be completed within one year.
Online graduate certificate courses in guidance counseling may be taught asynchronously or synchronously. These courses are designed to supplement core master's level courses and help students meet additional state licensure requirements. Most programs also require students to complete a practicum or internship at an approved location. Guidance counseling graduate certificate programs may offer the following courses:
- School counseling
- Leadership and design of structured groups
- Administration and Leadership of School Counseling Services
Related to Online Training Programs in Guidance Counseling
- Recently Updated
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programs in guidance counseling train individuals for senior leadership positions in the area of...
Guidance counseling involves working with children to aid and develop goals for their future. Though most commonly associated...
School counselors are needed at all levels of education to help students cope with and understand personal, behavioral and...
Counselors work in a variety of fields to give aid and direction to people in need of guidance. Whether the field is disaster...
- Doctor of School Counseling: Program Summary
- Guidance Counselor: Educational Requirements for a Career in Guidance Counseling
- Career Information for a Degree in Counseling or Guidance
- Master of Human Resource Management: Degree Overview
- Job Description of a Communications Equipment Operator
- Business Psychologist: Career Info, Job Duties and Requirements
- Online Programs for Becoming a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- Online Accredited Guidance Counseling Schools: How to Choose
- Guidance Counseling: Overview of Guidance Counselor Continuing Education Programs
- Online Education Options for Business Finance Consultants
- Become a Pesticide Control Inspector: Education and Career Roadmap
- Careers in Agricultural Economics: Job Options and Requirements