Distance Learning Diplomas in Telecommunications Technology
Telecommunications technology is rapidly changing, and schools offering online programs -- including diplomas -- in this area focus on preparing students to stay on top of those changes as they train to be technicians in the field. Read on to see distance learning courses and career options.
Students looking for training in telecommunications technology will likely have better luck finding certificates or undergraduate degrees, but there are a few institutions, including online career schools, that offer distance learning diplomas in this field of study. Such programs offer students the opportunity to learn about the most up-to-date telecommunications knowledge through coursework in electricity, computer applications and electronic devices.
While much of the focus of distance learning telecommunications technology programs is on studying the technology critical in the industry, many also stress hands-on skills training through real-world work experience. This may occur as a part-time job, unpaid internship, or apprenticeship working with an experienced telecommunications worker.
The core focus of a telecommunication technology program is on the study of electronics. Online students access their school's virtual classroom to work on course assignments, view lectures and interact with peers or instructors. Most programs require students to take essential courses in the basic of electronics, complemented by the study of data communications and fiber optics. Additional coursework typically varies by a student's field of interest.
Common courses available in distance learning telecommunications technology programs include the following:
- Basic electronics
- Data cabling
- Data communications series
- Fiber optics communications
- Telecommunications high voltage protection
- Broadband services technologies
The vast majority of graduates earning diplomas in telecommunications technology work in either installation, maintenance and repair or administrative and office support occupations. The former group includes those working inside businesses or residences as well as those working outdoors, performing jobs such as operating power-driven equipment to put up telephone poles. The following positions are available for graduates of telecommunications technology programs:
- Line installer and repairer
- Cable splicer
- Telecommunications equipment installer/repairer
- Telephone station installer/repairer
- Cable installer
- Wireless and satellite service installer
- Telephone operator
Related to Online Telecommunications Diploma
- Recently Updated
Read an overview of bachelor's degree programs in technology management and telecommunications. See examples of core courses...
Read about an associate's degree program that emphasizes telecommunications technology and includes relevant coursework....
Read program details regarding associate degree studies in telecommunications technology. Find out about admission...
This article includes information about certificate and degree programs that are related to telecommunications engineering...
- Associate's in Computer Electronics & Telecommunications Technology: Degree Overview
- Electronics Certificate in Computer Technology & Telecommunications
- Learningtech.org Helps Others Make Technology a Part of Learning
- Bellevue, Washington Education and City Information
- Handbag Design Course and Class Information
- AutoCAD Design Course and Training Program Information
- Continuing Education in AutoCAD: Options and Requirements