Distance Learning Physical Therapy Education Programs and Courses
Physical therapists who have already earned a bachelor's or master's degree may choose a distance learning program for their doctorate degree. Find more details about these online physical therapy programs and courses below.
Overview of Programs
Online Doctor of Physical Therapy programs are available through two routes. Transitional programs are designed for students who are already credentialed, practicing physical therapists. These programs offer courses and sometimes hands-on lab practice leading to the DPT degree (Doctor of Physical Therapy).
In addition, several universities offer 'blended' (both distance and on-campus) physical therapy doctoral programs for students without physical therapist credentials. To be eligible, students must hold a baccalaureate with certain prerequisite courses. The program takes roughly three years.
Expect 8-12 courses, depending on your previous degree level and experience. Courses cover the following topics:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Examination skills
- Therapeutic exercise
- Health care systems
- Health care economics
- Differential diagnosis
- Research skills
Also, advanced classes may look at physical therapy techniques such as the following:
Clinical practicum training, any professional seminars or orientations and the presentation of research must be done either on campus or at cooperatively-arranged internship sites. Practicum work is usually required for two clinical courses on current musculoskeletal therapeutic practices. Other residencies are usually planned for weekends.
Continuing Education Courses
Physical therapists must complete continuing education units to maintain their licenses. Therapists may choose to complete these classes partly or completely online. Course options vary widely. Look for 'The Obesity Challenge in Public Health' in four online modules. There's a 30-hour certificate program in assistive technology which consists of ten weeks of online courses and three 5-hour Saturday classes on campus.
Related to Distance Education for Physical Therapy
- Recently Updated
A physical therapist (PT) evaluates, diagnoses and treats patients with disorders that limit their abilities to move or...
Examine the educational program options in geriatric physical therapy. Read on for prerequisites, program coursework and...
Physical therapy assistance is a quickly growing field. To become a physical therapy assistant, an individual must complete...
Physical therapy aides assist physical therapists in the daily activities of patient care. They could also handle various...
- Geriatric Physical Therapy Technician Career Info
- Physical Therapist: Education Overview & Career Info
- Energy Therapy Training and Education Programs
- Security-Related Bachelor Degrees: Program Options
- Elementary School Counseling Degree Program Overviews
- Doctorate in Alternative Healing and Health: Program Overview
- Forensic Chemistry Major: Information and Requirements
- Christian Art Therapy Education and Training Program Info
- Psychology Therapy Education and Training Information
- Desktop Underwriter Certification and Certificate Program Information
- Top Schools with Alternative Medical Support Programs
- Fish Hatchery Management Education and Training Program Information