Drug Counselor Career Info and Education Requirements
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a drug counselor. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details about degree programs, job duties and licensure to find out if this is the career for you.
Drug counselors, also known as substance abuse or behavioral disorder counselors, work with patients on an individual or a group basis to help them address their addiction issues. They assist patients as well as friends and families of patients with coping methods and recovery programs. Drug counselors must be licensed by the state where they work, which usually requires at least a master's degree. Professional certification is not required, but may increase employment opportunities.
|Required Education||Master's degree in substance abuse counseling or other relevant field is most common|
|Licensing||License needed in all states, but requirements vary|
|Projected Job Growth (2012-2022)*||31% for substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselors|
|Median Salary (2013)*||$38,620 for substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselors|
Source: * U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Drug Counselor Career Info
Drug counselors usually assist individuals in controlling their addiction to drugs or alcohol; however, a drug counselor may also help patients with gambling problems or eating disorders. Drug counselors must be available for their patients in moments of weakness. In addition to scheduled therapy sessions, a drug counselor performs emergency crisis-counseling sessions and is expected to sometimes take drop-in patients who need support therapy. Drug counselors work closely with patients to put together customized programs that aid in recovery. Some drug counselors also start community outreach programs to try and prevent future substance abuse problems.
While obtaining a position as a drug counselor in the United States has different requirements depending on the state of practice, it is typically necessary for a drug counselor to have a master's degree. The Master of Science in Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counseling is a possible option, and many schools that don't offer that exact degree program will offer master's programs in counseling that emphasize substance abuse education.
Every state requires counselors to have a license before they can practice; however, like the degree requirement, licensure procedures vary from state to state. Upon obtaining licensure, it is not uncommon for drug counselors to be heavily monitored or directly employed by state and federal government agencies.
The National Board for Certified Counselors offers an optional certification process for drug counselors. Those who pass the certification can earn the title of National Certified Counselor. This certification process is not mandatory in any state, but obtaining certification can greatly enhance employment opportunities.
Related to Drug Counselor Education
- Recently Updated
Learn about the work responsibilities of a drug counselor. Find out the education prerequisites, licensure requirements, salary...
Learn how to become a certified drug counselor. Research the education and career requirements, training and certification...
Learn how to become a special education counselor. Research the education requirements, internships and licensure you need to...
Find out how to become a youth counselor. Research the education and training requirements and learn about the experience you...
- Gerontological Counselor: Job Description, Duties and Career Outlook
- Children's Counselor: Education and Career Information
- Become a Christian Counselor: Education and Career Roadmap
- Activities Director: Job Profile & Occupational Outlook
- Career Information for a Degree in Biomedical Technologies
- Top International Business Degree Program - Atlanta, GA
- Certified Wireless Network Administrator: Job Description
- Child Counselor: Career Information and Requirements
- Become a Behavioral Counselor: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Top Ranked Criminal Justice Degree Program - Indianapolis, IN
- Top Accounting and Financial Management Degree Programs - Memphis, TN
- Top School for a Degree in Public Administration - Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Marine Motor Repair Technician Job Description and Requirements for Starting a Career in Marine Motor Repair
- Polysomnographer Assistant Job Duties and Requirements for Starting a Career As a Polysomnographer Assistant
- Electrical Engineering - EE Professions Employment Information and Requirements for Electrical Engineering Careers
- Public Relations School in Atlanta