Education Administration Certificate and Certification Program Info
Education administrators provide leadership and manage the day-to-day activities of preschools, schools, colleges and universities. Education administration certificates are available through 4-year colleges and universities at the graduate level. Completing an education administration certificate program is necessary in order to obtain certification or licensure as a school administrator in the state where the individual lives.
Graduate Certificate in Education Administration
Certificate-level training in education administration (for a principal, administrator or supervisor position) is comprised of both classroom instruction and an internship (with a mentor). Students acquire knowledge in areas related to management of human resources, administration and finance. Through an internship, students are able to put this knowledge into practice whereby honing their administrative skills.
Certification prerequisites differ by state. Most states require that a candidate for principal certification have a master's degree, a teacher's license and teaching experience. Requirements for certification to become an administrator may involve having principal certification and experience in an administrative position. Additional requirements may include achieving a certain GPA average and submission of transcripts, a writing sample and letters of recommendation.
Coursework focuses on leadership and business practices within a school environment. Students also learn how to deal with district bureaucracy and conflicts. Required courses may include:
- Theories in educational leadership
- Leadership in a school district
- Instruction supervision
- Business administration
- Personnel management
- The public sector: arbitration and collective bargaining
- School administrators, computers and application software
- Management ethics
- Conflict resolution
Employment Outlook and Salary Info
Education administrators find employment in both public school districts and private or religious schools, most often in levels of management and upper-management. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), www.bls.gov, employment of education administrators is expected to grow by 12% in the decade 2006-2016, about as fast as average for all occupations. In May 2006, school administrators earned a median annual salary of $77,740. In elementary and secondary schools, principals were paid the highest salary. In the college and university setting, chief academic officers were the most well-paid.
Certification and Continuing Education Information
Requirements for certification or licensure in education administration vary by state. Most states require that students complete a master's program, a graduate certificate in education administration and an internship. A state may require that a candidate for certification pass a state test. For example, students in Texas must pass a principal certification test after finishing the coursework portion. A state may have various levels of certification. Take for example the state of Tennessee. Tennessee has a beginning administrator license (or certification) and a professional administrator license (or certification). Administrators just starting out are awarded the beginning license, valid for five years. Once a beginning administrator finds employment and completes other requirements, he or she is issued a professional license. The professional license is valid for ten years after which it needs to be renewed. Some states require administrators to complete continuing education credits in order to renew their licenses. Principals in private schools do not have to abide by state certification requirements, according to BLS.
Related to Educational Administration Certification
- Recently Updated
The construction industry has traditionally been a major employer and a mainstay of economic growth in the United...
Computer administrators usually specialize in systems or network administration. Systems or network administrators, as...
Individuals who want learn how to manage a correctional facility should seek a career in corrections administration....
Technical administrators secure computer networks, support the integration of new technology into the existing...
- Database Education: Top School Offering Courses and Degrees in Database Administration - Memphis, TN
- Top Ranked School for Teacher Education and School Administration - Colorado Springs, CO
- Nursing Administration Continuing Education Options
- Top Ranked University with CAD Drafting and Design Technology Degrees - Kansas City, MO
- Top Medical Assisting Degree Programs - Chicago, IL
- Top Interior Design Degree Programs - Denver, CO
- Top Ranked School for Electronics - Long Beach, CA
- Distance Education Graduate Degrees in Business Administration
- Teacher Education: Top School with Teacher Education and School Administration Degree Programs - San Bernardino, CA
- Top Nursing School - Bakersfield, CA
- Top School for an Associate Degree in CAD Drafting and Architectural Design - Atlanta, GA
- Top Business E-Commerce Degree Program - Jacksonville, FL