Electricity Engineering Degree Program Information
Degrees in electricity engineering are referred to as electrical engineering degrees. Electrical engineering degrees are available on bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels. Electrical engineering includes the study of electronics, electromagnetic fields and electrical control systems.
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
Electrical engineering primarily uses math and physics concepts to develop electrical systems and devices. Some of these systems include power generation, fiber optic data transmission, radar and medical image processing. Some students in electricity engineering degree programs may specialize in areas such as computer technology, integrated media systems, telecommunications or aerospace systems. Students need a high school diploma or equivalent in order to enroll in a bachelor's degree program.
Electrical engineering courses cover math, physics and engineering. Most universities also require undergraduates to complete general education requirements. Coursework covers topics including:
- Electrical engineering
- Data processing logic
- Electrical systems
- Linear technology
- Probability and statistics
- Differential equations
- Probabilistic systems
- Feedback control systems
Popular Career Options
Although graduates of electrical engineering programs can become electrical engineers, they can also work as:
- Application engineers
- Engineering construction specialists
- Radio frequency engineers
- Systems engineers
Master of Science in Electrical Engineering
Master's degree students typically specialize in a single area of electrical engineering, studying the topic more in-depth and preparing for upper-level jobs. Specializations include photonics or signal processing and communications.
To be accepted into a master's degree in electrical engineering program, a student must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited university. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are usually required. Students who have GRE scores that do not meet minimum requirements may be accepted with the stipulation that extra courses be taken to correct the deficiency.
Coursework will vary according to the specialization chosen. Courses may cover:
- Advanced probability and statistics
- Computer networks
- Project management systems
- Stochastic processes in engineering
- Computational techniques in electrical engineering
- Semiconductor sensors and actuators
- Mobile communications
- Optical communications
- Satellite communications
- Quantum electronics
Popular Career Options
Master's degree in electrical engineering graduates can find upper-level jobs as:
- Systems design engineers
- Software engineers
- Research engineers
- Reliability engineers
- Project engineers
- Development engineers
- Design engineers
Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical Engineering
Engineering Ph.D. students work closely with an advisor and tailor a program of study to meet students' goals. A variety of specializations may be pursued. Concentrations include communications, robotics, photonics, electromagnetics and VLSI design. Many graduates of doctoral degree programs look for work as professors of electrical engineering.
Prerequisites for a doctoral degree in electrical engineering can include master's and bachelor's degrees in electrical engineering or a closely related curriculum. Other possible prerequisites include a passing score on the Electrical Engineering Qualifying Examination as well as definite research and career goals.
Most coursework in a Ph.D. program consists of independent study, research and a dissertation. Any actual coursework will cover specific engineering topics in-depth and may be in seminar format. Some possible courses are:
- Microwave engineering
- Antenna analysis and design
- Transform methods
- Advanced semiconductor devices
- Image processing
- Optimal estimation for control
- Neural networks
Related to Electricity Engineering Degree
- Recently Updated
Those of us who use devices of any kind have Electricity Engineers to thank for figuring out ways to power them up....
By using knowledge of electronics engineering, students are able to create devices, equipment, systems and components...
Aspiring electrical engineers study how electricity can be used in power systems, control systems, electronics and...
Utilities engineers work in various energy producing industries, such as electricity, hydraulic, nuclear or green...
- Career Information for a Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Dr. Lynford Goddard Talks Engineering Outreach with Education-Portal.com
- Schools with Optical Engineering Programs: How to Choose
- Top School for a Computer Engineering Degree - Atlanta, GA
- Top Degrees for Multimedia and Computer Graphics Design - Phoenix, AZ
- Best School for Learning Computer Animation Technology - Denver, CO
- Top Business School for a Sales and Marketing Degree - Chicago, IL
- Best Engineering Majors for Achieving the Highest Starting Salary
- Top Schools for Engineering
- Top University with a Medical Office Management Degree Program - Philadelphia, PA
- Top Ranked Instructional Leadership and Teaching Degrees - Atlanta, GA
- Top School for a Degree in Business Finance - Colorado Springs, CO