EMT Courses and Classes in Long Island with Program Overviews
Three EMT programs are offered by LaGuardia Community College in Long Island City, New York: an EMT-Basic course, an EMT-Paramedic certificate program and an EMT-Paramedic Associate of Applied Science degree program.
LaGuardia Community College's EMT Programs
Located in Long Island City, New York, LaGuardia Community College's Continuing Education division offers an EMT-Basic course, an EMT-Paramedic certificate program and an EMT-Paramedic Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree program.
EMT-Basic students are required to spend 210 hours in the classroom and ten hours in a clinical setting to complete the course. EMT-Basic course topics include injury care, patient transport and assessment, emergency cardiac management and oxygen therapy. An interview as well as a reading comprehension test determines acceptance into the program. Upon course completion, students become licensed EMTs by successfully taking the New York EMT-Basic certification exam.
Before entering the EMT-Paramedic certificate program, students must be licensed EMTs (at the basic or intermediate level) with six months minimum field experience. Prospective students are also required to take an entrance exam and complete an interview. EMT-Paramedic students receive their certificate after completing roughly 400 hours of coursework and 600 hours of clinical training. Course topics include pharmacology, infant and child emergencies, trauma care and intravenous administration.
EMT-Paramedic Associate of Applied Science
EMT-Paramedic students complete roughly 800 hours of coursework during a 2-year period to receive their A.A.S. degree. In addition to exploring topics like advanced intravenous techniques, pain management and geriatric emergencies, students take general education courses like biology and statistics. Outside the classroom, EMT-Paramedic students spend approximately 600 hours refining their skills in a clinical setting. Prerequisites for entry into the A.A.S. program include EMT-Basic certification, six months of professional field experience, a passing entrance exam grade and an interview with program faculty.
- Address: 31-10 Thomson Ave., Long Island City, NY 11101
- Phone Number: (718) 482-7200
Related to EMT Course Long Island
- Recently Updated
Most states require EMTs to get relicensed, after their original licensure, every 2-3 years, according to the U.S. Bureau of...
Emergency medical technology professionals provide medical aid to those in need during emergency situations. There are several...
Emergency medical technician (EMT)-paramedic courses teach individuals to provide the highest level of first responder,...
Research EMT - Basic certification and certificate programs. Get information about requirements, courses, licensure and salary...
- EMT-Paramedic License and Credential Information
- EMT-P to RN Bridge Program Information
- EMT-Intermediate Refresher Course Information
- Inventory Analyst: Job Description & Career Info
- What Can You Do With a Masters in Public Health?
- Certification Options Related to Childcare
- Building Technician Career Info
- EMT - Basic Refresher Course Requirements
- EMT - I Classes and Training Program Information
- Microsoft Certified Database Administrator: Job Info & Requirements
- Health Diagnostics Technologist: Job Description & Career Info
- Clinical Trial & Pharmaceuticals Administration: Job Description & Requirements
Perfect School Search
- A - G
- G - N
- P - W
- Nearby States