EMT Courses and Classes in Long Island with Program Overviews
There are four schools within 10 miles of Long Island that have EMT programs. Read an overview of one school's programs, and get statistical information about the school to find out if it is right for you.
EMT education is available through comprehensive courses, certificate programs and associate's degree programs. Those interested in becoming entry-level EMTs can complete programs that qualify them to take the EMT-Basic certification exam from the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. Aspiring paramedics usually already possess EMT-Basic certification along with work experience, and then they complete a certificate or associate's degree program that qualifies them for the paramedic licensure exam in their state. Both EMT-Basic and paramedic programs incorporate experience in a clinical setting, such as at hospitals or on ambulances, along with traditional coursework.
LaGuardia Community College
Located in Long Island City, New York, LaGuardia Community College's Continuing Education division offers an EMT-Basic course, an EMT-Paramedic certificate program and an EMT-Paramedic Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree program. EMT-Basic students are required to spend 210 hours in the classroom and 10 hours in a clinical setting to complete the program. Students learn about injury care, patient transport and assessment, emergency cardiac management and oxygen therapy.
The school's EMT-Paramedic programs are for those with existing EMT certification and six months of work experience. The certificate program requires roughly 400 hours of coursework and 600 hours of clinical training. Course topics include pharmacology, infant and child emergencies, trauma care and intravenous administration. The associate's program requires roughly 800 hours of coursework and 600 hours of clinical training during a 2-year period. Students explore topics like advanced intravenous techniques, pain management and geriatric emergencies.
- Programs Offered: EMT-Basic Course
AAS in EMT-Paramedic
- Tuition & Fees (2013-2014): $4,566 (in-state), $7,086 (out-of-state)*
- School Type & Setting: 2-year, public; large city
School Info: At a Glance
|School||School Type & Setting||Programs Offered||Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)|
|LaGuardia Community College||2-year, public; large city|| EMT-Basic Course|
AAS in EMT-Paramedic
|$4,566 (in-state), $7,086 (out-of-state)*|
Source: *NCES College Navigator
Related to EMT Course Long Island
- Recently Updated
Most states require EMTs to get recertified, typically every 2-3 years after their original licensure, according to the...
Emergency medical technology professionals provide medical aid to those in need during emergency situations. There are several...
Emergency medical technician (EMT)-paramedic courses teach individuals to provide the highest level of first responder,...
Explore EMT-Basic certificate programs along with certification information. Check the educational prerequisites for admission...
- EMT-Paramedic License and Credential Information
- EMT-P to RN Bridge Program Information
- EMT-Intermediate Refresher Course Information
- Top School in Houston for Becoming a Legal Administrative Assistant
- Auto Maintenance Technician: Career Profile
- Become a Neurologist: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Career Information for a Degree in Medical Administration
- Massage Therapy Technician Employment Info for Those Considering a Career As a Massage Therapy Technician
- Kitchen Design Job Description and Information About Starting a Career in the Kitchen Designing Professions
- Precision Metal Fitting Technician Job Description and Information About Starting a Career in Precision Metal Fitting
- Distance Learning Physical Therapy Education Programs
Perfect School Search
- A - G
- G - N
- P - W
- Nearby States