Engineering Technology Trade Schools in the U.S.
Students pursuing an education in engineering technology often choose to do so through local trade schools. Considerations when choosing a trade school include the types of programs and certifications available, the length of programs and the scheduling of classes.
How to Select an Engineering Technology Trade School
Engineering technology is a broad field in which students study the applications of engineering technology and systems to everyday problems. Common specializations within the field of engineering technology include drafting, computer-aided design, land planning and surveying, heating and cooling systems, computer engineering technology and telecommunications technology. Some schools offer certifications or preparation for certification exams so that students can earn industry-standard recognition of their educational achievements.
A major consideration of students entering engineering technology programs is the length of those programs. The standard length of an associate degree program (A.S. or A.A.S. degrees) is two academic years. Many trade schools offer accelerated associate degrees, where students can earn their credential in fewer than two years. Additionally, some schools also offer diplomas or certifications that can be earned in fewer than two years.
A related concern to the length of program is the availability of classes. Many trade schools with engineering technology programs also offer those programs in a night class format or through a distance learning option. Students studying engineering technology often take advantage of the flexibility offered by some trade schools to balance the varied demands of work, family and their education.
Largest Engineering Technology Trade Schools by Student Enrollment
|College/University||Student Population||Institution Type|
|Miami Dade College||57,222||4-year, primarily associate's, Public|
|Houston Community College System||48,169||2-year, Public|
|Northern Virginia Community College||42,663||2-year, Public|
|Lone Star College System||41,345||2-year, Public|
|College of Southern Nevada||40,310||4-year, primarily associate's, Public|
|Tarrant County College District||39,596||2-year, Public|
|Riverside Community College||36,146||2-year, Public|
|Austin Community College District||35,798||2-year, Public|
|Valencia Community College||35,460||2-year, Public|
|City College of San Francisco||34,868||2-year, Public|
|American River College||34,610||2-year, Public|
|Pima Community College||34,136||2-year, Public|
|East Los Angeles College||34,065||2-year, Public|
|Santa Ana College||33,916||2-year, Public|
|Broward College||33,448||2-year, Public|
|Mt San Antonio College||30,026||2-year, Public|
|Salt Lake Community College||29,396||2-year, Public|
|El Camino Community College District||27,098||2-year, Public|
|Long Beach City College||26,927||2-year, Public|
|Tidewater Community College||26,898||2-year, Public|
Related to Engineering Technology Schools in Arkansas
- Recently Updated
Automotive engineering technology training is available at a wide variety of program levels, from certificate programs to...
Learn about certificate and degree programs that are related to telecommunications engineering technology, and check the...
Undergraduate degree programs in engineering technology come in more specific concentrations, such as electrical engineering,...
A master's degree in mining engineering is a logical next step for working professionals in the mining industry who want to...
- Architectural Engineering Technology Education and Training Programs
- What Is a Bachelor of Electronic Engineering Technology?
- Refrigerator Technology & Engineering Career Information
- How to Become an Independent Claims Adjuster
- Cardio Technician: Career Profile
- Become a Certified Child Care Provider: Certification and Career Info
- How to Become an Executive Legal Assistant
- Top Orlando Computer Engineering & Electronics Technology School
- Top Boise Electrical Engineering & Electronics Technology Degrees
- Culinary School: Top Rated Culinary Arts Program - Cincinnati, OH
- How to Be a Banker: Education and Career Roadmap
- How to Become a Ship Mechanic: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Mastercam Programmer Job Outlook and Info About Starting a Career As a Mastercam Programmer
- Christian Universities
- Data Communications Technician Job Duties and Requirements for a Career in Data Communication
- Professional Sports Athlete Career Information About Becoming a Professional Sports Performer