Environmental Management MBA Degree Program Information
Get a summary of the curriculum of an MBA in Environmental Management. Find out what is commonly required for graduate admission and see program requirements. You can also get information on career paths and continuing education.
To earn a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree and focus on environmental management, one must typically enroll in a joint degree program that focuses on subjects in both disciplines, like green energy solutions, air pollution, water quality, green design or environmental management. These dual-degree programs prepare students to tackle the global issues facing the environment through solid and effective business practices. Coursework is typically heavy in the sciences and can span disciplines like technology, policy and law, systems modeling and sustainability. Students often have to complete a capstone project or internship prior to graduation.
To enroll in an environmental management MBA program, students must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college. Most business graduate schools require students to submit GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) scores, and sending in GRE scores may be optional. A letter of interest describing personal goals is another typical requirement.
An environmental management MBA program typically includes courses in business and environment law, environmental factors in business management and environmental history. Students may enroll in courses that cover topics such as:
- Corporate social responsibility
- Climate change
- Environmental protection
- Environmental risk management
- Green business planning
- Economics of natural resources
- Community development
Popular Career Options
With a master's degree related to environmental management, professionals can obtain upper-level careers with private companies, government agencies or environmental organizations. Most environmental management positions balance business operations with environmental research and the implementation of green business practices. Career options may include:
- Environmental finance advisor/officer
- Corporate green policy expert
- Conservation non-governmental organization (NGO) manager
- Conservation investment fund manager
- Entrepreneur/owner of green organization
Continuing Education Information
To increase career prospects and potential earnings, environmental business professionals can obtain a doctoral degree, which can lead to postsecondary teaching or research positions. Although doctoral degrees that combine environmental and business studies are not common, there are programs available - such as a doctoral degree in ecological economics and a graduate certificate program in business and environmental studies that may equal a Ph.D. minor.
Because there are not a great deal of doctoral programs in environmental business management, some students choose to focus their education on either business or environmental studies; programs like business administration in managerial science or environmental management are two alternatives.
Related to Environmental Management MBA Degree
- Recently Updated
Many schools in the nation offer strong degree programs in environmental science. Learn about some of these top schools, as...
Environmental managers strategize how to mitigate the adverse effects of business and industrial operations on the Earth's...
The MBA degree remains one of the most popular among working professionals because it can lead to higher-paying management...
Research bachelor's degrees in environmental management. Get information on requirements, courses, career prospects and salary...
- Top Environmental Policy Management Degree Programs and Schools
- Online Bachelors Degree in Environmental Management: Program Info
- Online Environmental Management Degrees by Program Level
- Top School in Denver for an Industrial Design Degree
- Forensic Practitioner: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Sign Language Interpreter: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Career Info for a Degree in General Technical & Business Writing
- 7 Great Sources for Free Environmental Management Courses Online
- MBA in Security Management: Degree Overview
- Become a Reading Teacher: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Building Engineer License, Certification and Credential Information
- Top Degree Programs in Human Resource Management - Mesa, AZ