Health Care Administration Certification Program Overviews
Read about graduate certificate programs in health care administration. Research the admission requirements and curriculum associated with such programs, and learn about the career opportunities available to graduates.
Health care administration graduate certificate programs prepare students for management positions within the health care field. These programs are widely available at 4-year colleges and universities; some schools feature online classes. In addition to traditional coursework, students may be required to complete internships at local clinics or healthcare facilities. Graduates of these programs may be qualified to pursue professional certification.
Applicants must have a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university. Those seeking certification as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) from the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) must possess at least a bachelor's degree from a school accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (www.ahima.org).
Courses within a graduate certificate program in health care administration focus on the intricacies of the health care industry, financial management, ethics, facility maintenance, legal aspects and patient care. Typical courses offered may include:
- Public health administration
- Health care management
- Health care systems
- Health care organization financial management
- Emergency preparedness
- Information technology in health care
Career Outlook and Salary Info
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS), employment of health care administrators was expected to increase by 16% from 2008-2018 (www.bls.gov). This increase was predicted due to an expansion of the health care industry overall, and thus an increase in the need for managers. In May 2010, the BLS reported the annual median salary for medical and health care managers was $84,720.
Continuing Education and Certification Information
Upon completion of a health care administration graduate certificate program, individuals may go on to earn a graduate degree, if they do not already possess one. In some cases, graduates may be able to apply their certificate coursework to their graduate degree program. Most master's degree programs include a thesis or field experience requirement, and doctoral degree programs focus on research, oftentimes requiring a dissertation.
The AHIMA offers a certification program with the credential of RHIA. In addition to possessing a bachelor's degree, applicants must pass an exam to obtain certification. Additionally, those who work as nursing care administrators and some assisted living administrators must pass a state licensing exam to be eligible for employment. General areas of health care management do not require licensure. For those required to maintain certification or licensure, continuing education courses must typically be completed at an accredited school, college or training organization.
Related to Certificates in Health Care Administration
- Recently Updated
There are many schools within a 50-mile radius of Anaheim, CA, that offer healthcare administration degrees. Read about the top...
Students interested in earning a master's degree in health care administration in Dallas, TX, have only a few schools to choose...
Read about programs in health care administration, through which students learn how to plan, implement and manage health care...
Read about health care administration degree programs. Learn about prerequisites and courses for different degree levels, as...
- Top Ranked Health Care Administration Degree - Fort Wayne, IN
- Top Health Care Administration Degree Programs - San Diego, CA
- Top Health Care Administration Degree Program - Nashville, TN
- Top University in Des Moines, IA, for a Computer Aided Drafting Degree
- Top Public Administration Degree Program - Irvine, CA
- Top Information Technology Degree - Grand Rapids, MI
- Top Ranked Computer Programming Degree - Fresno, CA
- Top School in Bakersfield, CA, for a Health Care Administration Degree
- Top Health Care Administration Degree Programs - Los Angeles, CA
- Medical Front Desk Coordinator: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Health Care State Inspector: Job Description, Salary and Career Info
- Electrical Engineering Technician: Salary, Duties, Outlook & Requirements