Hospitality Management Colleges in New York City with Degree Info
There are several schools within 15 miles of downtown New York City that have hospitality management programs. Read an overview of three schools' programs, requirements and admission info and find out which school is the right one for you.
New York City Colleges with Hospitality Management Programs
Individuals looking for hospitality management programs in the New York City area can find training at a Jersey City, NJ, community college, a private technology institute in Manhattan and a Catholic university in Queens. The following resource provides a summary of the programs at each of the three schools, as well as a comparison table with essential statistical information and a paragraph with other college and university options for hospitality management students.
- Located in a large suburb in New Jersey, Hudson County Community College is a two-year, public school that offers certificate and associate's degree programs in hospitality management. At only four miles from downtown New York City, the school is accessible by both public and private transportation.
- The New York Institute of Technology is a four-year, private not-for-profit school that offers a bachelor's degree program in hospitality management, as well as a unique wedding planner certification. The school's Manhattan campus is about five miles from the city's downtown.
- St. John's University, a four-year, private not-for-profit institution in Queens, offers a bachelor's degree in hospitality, as well as internships and student organizations. At 15 miles, the university is the furthest away from downtown New York City.
Hudson County Community College
The associate's degree program in hospitality management at Hudson County Community College focuses on hotel restaurant management. Students learn about topics such as marketing, planning, cost-control, spa management and legal issues.
Associate in Applied Science in Hospitality Management
Once they've earned their degrees, students might be ready for entry-level employment as front desk supervisors, casino operations managers, food production supervisors and hotel sales managers. The program's 300-hour practicum includes on-site training at hotels and restaurants. Courses include principles of accounting, principles of management, travel law and front office operations.
New York Institute of Technology
While enrolled at the New York Institute of Technology, students can participate in the Society of Hosteurs, the National Society of Minorities in Hospitality and the Professional Convention Management Association. Students learn about the legal consequences of operational choices, as well as financial management.
Bachelor of Professional Studies in Hospitality Management
Students learn through beverage tasting, on-site operations visits and experimental internships. Students also learn how the economic climate can influence marketing and operations plans. Courses include foundations of inquiry, basic economics, employee relations and a senior seminar capstone.
St. John's University
Students enrolled in the bachelor's degree program in hospitality management at St. John's benefit from the school's professional connections, which provide a number of internship opportunities both locally and abroad. It is recommended that students complete an internship before enrolling in the program's senior capstone course, since prior on-the-job experience serves as a foundation for the capstone course.
Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management
After earning their degrees at St. John's, students may find employment as creative professionals in a variety of industries, such as travel agencies, conference centers, restaurants, country clubs and cultural heritage sites. The university offers a number of clubs and student organizations, including the Hospitality Management Organization and the College of Professional Studies Honor Society. Students are required to take a series of business courses, including business law, accounting, economics and principles of management.
Comparison of Schools
Hospitality management students can use the following table to find key statistics about admission and graduation rates, financial aid and undergraduate tuition.
|Hudson County Community College||New York Institute of Technology||St. John's University|
|School Type||Two-year; public||Four-year; private not-for-profit||Four-year; private not-for-profit|
|Campus Setting||Large suburb||Large city||Large city|
|Tuition & Fees 2011-2012 (undergraduate)||$4,398 in-district; $7,593 in-state; $10,788 out-of-state*||$27,290*||$33,875*|
|% of First-Year Students Receiving Some Form of Financial Aid (2011)||78%*||95%*||96%*|
|Acceptance Rate (2011)||N/A - Open Admission||69%*||46%*|
|Retention Rate (2011)||53% for full-time students, 34% for part-time students*||71% for full-time students, 16% for part-time students*||79% for full-time students, 75% for part-time students*|
|Graduation Rate (2011)||11% (20% transfer-out rate)*||48% (36% transfer-out rate)*||57%*|
Source: *NCES College Navigator
Other School Options
Hospitality management programs near New York City are also available at New York City College of Technology, which is about four miles away, Montclair State University, located 12 miles from the city, and Union County College, which is 17 miles away.
Related to Hospitality Management Schools in NYC
- Recently Updated
Hospitality management programs are offered at both undergraduate and graduate levels. Students learn leadership and management...
A hospitality manager's salary depends upon the career path chosen. A career in hospitality management means a career in...
Learn what makes the two top schools for earning an MBA in hospitality management stand out. Find out about school rankings,...
Bachelor's degree programs in hospitality management offer a range of different career focuses, including restaurant, hotel or...
- Hospitality Management Masters Certificate Programs
- Top School in Philadelphia for Hospitality Management Training
- Top School in Columbus, Ohio, for a Hospitality Management Degree
- Top-Ranked Psychology Bachelor's Degree Program in Salt Lake City
- Top-Ranked Health Administration Degree Programs in San Jose, CA
- Textile Manufacturer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Machinist: Educational Requirements and Employment Outlook
- Top School in Charlotte, NC, for Hospitality Management Degrees
- Top School in Baltimore for a Hospitality Management Degree
- Residential Designer: Education Requirements & Career Info
- Child Care District Manager: Job Description and Requirements
- Medical Sales Representative: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
Perfect School Search
- A - G
- G - N
- P - W
- Nearby States