Language Schools in New Jersey with Course and Program Options
Research language programs in New Jersey, which currently has roughly 26 colleges offering these programs. Read overviews of the programs and get some quick facts for two New Jersey schools to decide which program is right for you.
Language schools commonly offer individual courses, certificate programs and degree programs that teach students to speak a foreign language, read its literature and understand the culture where the language is spoken. Some programs are designed to prepare students to teach foreign languages at the K-12 or university levels, while others prepare them for careers in research, translation and interpreting. Undergraduate programs generally provide language proficiency, while graduate programs usually require proficiency in the language and focus on literature. Schools commonly offer study abroad programs for students.
Rutgers University, which has a campus in New Brunswick, offers language studies in Korean, French, Russian, Hebrew, Latin and Spanish. Students can choose from bachelor's programs in French, Chinese and German, pursue a master's degree in Latin or earn a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Italian.
The school's bachelor's programs teach the target language through classes that emphasize culture, history and literature. Those in the French program can spend a semester in Paris to immerse themselves in French culture, while those studying German can choose a literature and language or German studies option.
The 2-year Latin master's program includes courses that emphasize the philological methods of Latin and the analysis of art history, literary theory and philosophy. The Italian PhD program features a curriculum that thoroughly examines each period of Italian literature. PhD students obtain pedagogical training to become prepared to lead the classroom, and they submit and defend a thesis.
- Programs Offered: BA in Chinese
BA in French
BA in German
MA in Latin
PhD in Italian
- Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2013-2014): $13,499 (in-state), $27,523 (out-of-state)*
- School Type & Setting: 4-year, public; small city
Montclair State University
Montclair State University, located in Montclair, New Jersey, offers individual classes in Hebrew and Arabic, as well as certificate, undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Russian and French.
The school's Russian certificate program is designed for certified teachers who want to teach Russian in the New Jersey K-12 school system, and it requires proficiency in the language, literature and civilization to enroll. Upon completing this 1-2 year program, individuals receive state teacher certification and are eligible to teach Russian in the New Jersey public school system.
The French bachelor's program is available with options in translating and interpreting, French civilization and teacher preparation. Students may participate in a study abroad program, which allows them to spend a semester in Nice, studying, learning and exploring French culture. Graduates may continue their education with the master's program in French, which can prepare them for teaching positions, senior researcher positions or doctoral study.
- Programs Offered: Certificate in Russian
BA in French
MA in French
- Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2013-2014): $11,318 (in-state), $20,196 (out-of-state)*
- School Type & Setting: 4-year, public; large suburb
School Comparison: At a Glance
|School||School Type & Setting||Programs Offered||Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)|
|Rutgers University||4-year, public; small city||BA in Chinese,|
BA in French,
BA in German,
MA in Latin,
PhD in Italian
| $13,499 (in-state),|
|Montclair State University||4-year, public; large suburb|| Certificate in Russian,|
BA in French,
MA in French
|$11,318 (in-state), |
Source: *NCES College Navigator
Related to Language Schools New Jersey
- Recently Updated
Money can't buy happiness, some say, and it also might not be able to buy a good education. Just ask New Jersey Governor Chris...
There are about 75 public and private not-for-profit schools within New Jersey. See how four of these schools stack up against...
Parsippany-Troy Hills township, commonly shortened to just Parsippany, is a growing community in Morris County, New Jersey....
Neptune, New Jersey, is known as the Crossroads of the Jersey Shore, thanks to its easy accessibility via various forms of...
- MRSA Outbreak Threatens U.S. Schools
- Mahwah, New Jersey, Township and Higher Education Facts
- Little Falls, New Jersey, City and Higher Education Information
- Export Manager: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top University with a Criminal Justice Program - Fort Wayne, IN
- Fireman: Training Required For All Firemen
- Top University with Business Degree Programs - Jacksonville, FL
- Jersey City, New Jersey, City and Higher Education Information
- Iselin, New Jersey, Higher Education and City Facts
- Best Degree Programs in Human Resource Management - Portland, OR
- Top Ranked School for a Degree in Marketing - Colorado Springs, CO
- Medical Recruiter: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
Perfect School Search
- B - L
- L - P
- P - W
- Nearby States