LPN Certification and Certificate Programs
In order to become a licensed practical nurse (LPN), also known as a licensed vocational nurse (LVN), individuals need to complete an accredited certificate or diploma program. They then qualify to sit for a licensing examination.
LPN Certificate Programs
Many 2-year community colleges and trade schools offer LPN certificate programs. Students can earn a certificate in licensed practical nursing within a year, or 2-3 semesters. During that time, they gain nursing experience through both classroom and laboratory work - learning how to care for patients across a variety of healthcare settings.
Aspiring students must first earn a high school diploma or GED certificate. Colleges may also require applicants to pass basic aptitude tests, which gauge fundamental English and math skills. Additionally, some schools necessitate that applicants complete introductory biology courses before enrolling.
Certificate in Licensed Practical Nursing
While earning an LPN certificate, students learn how to apply didactic lessons in a clinical setting. Common courses cover:
- Human behavior
- Critical thinking
- Patient care
- NCLEX preparation
The National Council Licensure Exam for Practical Nurses is commonly known as the NCLEX-PN. Registration for the examination can be secured through the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (www.ncsbn.org). Taking the exam requires submission of education transcripts and paying a registration fee.
The NCLEX-PN is a pass or fail exam using a Computerized Adaptive Testing (CAT) process. It features pertinent nursing questions, which require both written and practical answers. Once a student successfully completes the exam, licensure to officially become an LPN is granted.
Continuing Education Information
LPNs can go on to earn an associate's or bachelor's degree in nursing, both of which qualify them to take the NCLEX for registered nurses (RNs). Registered nurses supervise licensed practical nurses and work more closely with physicians.
Related to LPN Certificate
- Recently Updated
All aspiring licensed practical nurses (LPNs) must pass the National Council Licensure Examination-Practical Nurse...
Projected employment growth and increasing salaries point to the importance of Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) to the...
Online education programs for prospective licensed practical nurses are rare, but they may be found in hybrid formats...
Licensed practical nurses (LPNs) and licensed vocational nurses provide patient care in hospitals and healthcare...
- Traveling LPN Nurses: Job Description and Education Requirements
- List of Free Online LPN Classes and Educational Materials
- LPN Continuing Education: An Overview
- Top Ranked University Degree Program in Child Development - Bakersfield, CA
- Top Ranked School for Medical Assisting Degrees - Indianapolis, IN
- Top University with Nursing Degrees - Anaheim, CA
- Top Computer Networking Degree Programs - Cincinnati, OH
- MDS Nurse Training, Degree and Certificate Program Information
- Resident Care Coordinator: Job Description, Requirements and Career Info
- Top Electronics Engineering Degree Program - Houston, TX
- Top School for a Hospitality Management Degree - Colorado Springs, CO
- Top Ranked Degree Programs for Medical Assisting - Jacksonville, FL