Makeup Artist Training in Virginia with School Overviews
Research makeup artist programs in Virginia, which currently has about 24 schools offering programs. Read an overview of the courses, tuition info, and program options for the two public schools and decide which program is right for you.
While there are more than 20 schools in Virginia that offer makeup artist classes, there are only two public schools that offer such training. At these schools, the makeup courses are often found within cosmetology programs, which could result in a diploma or certificate. Both programs are 12 months or less and include classroom and laboratory training.
Cosmetologists need to be formally licensed by the state they're employed in. In Virginia, cosmetology licenses are issued and regulated by the Board for Barbers and Cosmetology through the state's Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation. Licensure entails the completion of an approved cosmetology program and successfully passing the licensing exam, which may have both written and practical components. Below is a brief overview of the two public schools in Virginia offering training that prepares students for careers as makeup artists.
Central Virginia Community College
This community colleges is located in Lynchburg . Students in its cosmetology theory program take classes that support their 3,000-hour apprenticeships in cosmetology and barbering services. Those who complete the approved 9-credit program may qualify to sit for the state licensing exam. The curriculum includes makeup application training, in addition to courses that cover general principles of hair cutting and styling, skin care, manicures, infection control, skin and nail disorders, hair coloring, chemical relaxing, and permanent waves.
- Program Offered: Career Studies Certificate in Cosmetology
- Tuition & Fees (2012-2013): $3,885 in-state, $9,648 out-of-state*
- School Type & Setting: 2-year, public; urban
Culpeper Cosmetology Training Center
Located in Culpeper, this training center offers an approved cosmetology program that prepares students for the state licensing exam. This program is 12 months in length, and students earn a cosmetology diploma upon completion. Students begin with basic courses in sanitation, hygiene, sculpting, and hair cutting. As the program progresses, students cover more advanced practical courses, such as makeup application, skin care techniques, and hair coloring.
- Program Offered: Cosmetology Diploma
- Tuition & Fees (2012-2013): $13,900*
- School Type & Setting: Less than 2-year, public; distant town
School Comparison: At a Glance
|School Name||School Type & Setting||Cosmetology Program Offered||Program Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|
|Central Virginia Community College||2-year, public; urban||Career Studies Certificate in Cosmetology||$3,885 in-state, $9,648 out-of-state*|
|Culpeper Cosmetology Training Center||< 2-year, public; distant town||Cosmetology Diploma||$13,900*|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics.
Related to Make Up Artist Training in Virginia
- Recently Updated
Permanent makeup artists inject pigments under the skin to apply eyeliner, lip color, eyebrow shading and color to even the...
The wedding day may be one of the most photographed and recorded events in a bride's life. For an event that has such...
Discover what training is needed to work as a makeup artist, as well as what types of places employ these workers. Learn about...
Chuck Close is famous for painting unusual, large-scale portraits of faces that retain extraordinary realism even when broken...
- Schools for Theater Makeup Artistry: How to Choose
- Become a Makeup Consultant: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Licensed Tattoo Artist: Job Description and Education Requirements
- SMT Operator: Job Outlook and Career Info for Becoming a SMT Operator
- Biological Chemistry Major Requirements and Career Information
- Top University in Baltimore for a Management Information Systems Degree
- Infection Control Practitioner: Job Description, Duties and Outlook
- Become a Visual Artist: Education and Career Roadmap
- Become a Comic Book Artist: Education and Career Roadmap
- Top Computer Information Systems Management Degree - Irvine, CA
- Continuing Education (CE) Requirements for Pharmacy Technicians
- Top University in Denver with a Master's in Human Resource Management
Perfect School Search
- A - C
- D - N
- N - W
- Nearby States