Marine Mechanic Degree Programs with Course Information
Marine mechanics repair and maintain motors and other mechanical parts on aquatic vehicles and other devices. Many people interested in becoming marine mechanics earn an associate's degree in marine technology from a technical school or community college.
Associate of Applied Science in Marine Technology
Associate of Applied Science (AAS) programs in marine technology train students to fix small engines found in watercraft and other small vehicles. Students learn to diagnose and repair problems with gasoline, electric and diesel engines. Programs usually offer hands-on repair opportunities for students. Much of the coursework included in an AAS program is transferable to mechanics-related bachelor's degree programs. Schools closer to large bodies of water might offer programs dedicated to the study of marine engines, while other schools may blend marine mechanics with coursework on other types of vehicles.
The coursework required in marine technology AAS programs emphasizes practical skills used to diagnose and repair problems with small engines and other mechanical parts. Some programs also include classes on the business aspects of running a marine mechanics shop. Students usually learn about the subjects mentioned below:
- Troubleshooting small engine issues
- Marine outboard engine repair
- Electronics repair
- Diesel engine repair
- Drive systems
- Cooling systems
- Fuel systems
Popular Career Options
Upon graduating from a marine technology program, students are prepared to work in a variety of repair and maintenance positions. Graduates often choose the following careers:
- Marine vehicle service technology
- Marine parts management
- Marine vehicle operation
Continuing Education Information
No formal certification or licensure requirements must be met to become a marine mechanic, but many people choose to complete training classes offered by particular manufacturers. These classes prepare students to work for repair shops approved by insurance companies or manufacturers.
Related to Marine Mechanics
- Recently Updated
Students who want to become marine engine mechanics can consider degrees and training programs in marine technology....
A marine diesel mechanic works to repair, service and adjust different components of diesel engines that are designed...
Generally, marine mechanics repair personal and recreational watercraft. Some work on commercial vessels and assist...
Outboard motor mechanics install, adjust, maintain and repair the electrical and mechanical equipment of portable...
- Boat Architecture Training and Degree Program Summaries
- Become a Marine: Education and Career Roadmap
- Personal Watercraft Repair Schools: How to Choose
- Best School for Learning Computer Animation Technology - Denver, CO
- Best School for a Business Administration Degree - Kansas City, MO
- Top School for a Degree in Healthcare Administration - Cincinnati, OH
- Top Ranked University for Human Resource Management - Chicago, IL
- Top Schools for Marine Watercraft Repair and Maintenance
- Online Schools with Marine Mechanic and Marine Technician Programs: How to Choose
- Top School for Paralegal Studies - Chicago, IL
- Top Ranked Master's Program in Management Information Systems - Columbus, OH
- Top University with a Marketing Degree Concentration - Jacksonville, FL