Master Degree in Public Speaking: Program Overviews
Students seeking a master's degree in public speaking will find the most relevant programs courses available within a master's degree program in communication studies or speech communication. Such a degree program can pave the way for a career as a public speaker in politics, business, academia, public relations and more.
Master of Arts in Communication Studies
A 2-year master's degree program in communication studies typically focuses on communication and speech theory in regards to human behavior. Individuals enrolled in such a program typically choose on particular topic on which to direct research, such as advertising and marketing, nonverbal speech cues, interpersonal speech, public speaking techniques, communication technology and persuasion techniques.
In addition to completing seminars and independent research, students enrolled in a master's degree program related to public speaking must generally complete a thesis project or paper as well. Typically this thesis project will delve further into one particular area of study in the communications field and will be subject to review by an academic committee.
Some master's degree programs in communication and public speaking require that applicants hold a bachelor's degree in communication or a similar field, but other programs do not. Most graduate schools do require that applicants complete a Graduate Record Exam, or GRE, and receive high verbal and quantitative scores.
Most of the courses included in a master's degree program in communication studies with relation to public speaking are intensive and focus highly on research and teaching methodologies. Some examples include:
- Qualitative communications research
- Rhetorical criticism
- Advanced public speaking
- Communication theory and practice
- Interpersonal communication
- Corporate communication
- Problems in public discourse
- Persuasive movements
- Public relations and speaking
- Conflict management
Popular Career Options
There are several positions related to public speaking that are available to a graduate of a master's degree program in communication studies. Some of these include:
- Professor of speech and communication
- Motivational speaker
- Media professional
- On-air consultant
- Speech analyst
- Corporate trainer
Related to Master Degree Public Speaking
- Recently Updated
People who work in Public Speaking Professions make speeches and presentations to live audiences in various settings. They may...
Students aspiring to careers in law enforcement, corrections, juvenile corrections or the administration of justice might...
Master of Architecture (M.Arch.) programs are meant for students whose undergraduate degree is in an area other than...
Gerontology programs provide individuals with an understanding of the aging process, as well as demonstrate how successful...
- Master of Ethnomusicology: Degree Overview
- Master of Communication: Degree Overview
- Master of Accountancy: Degree Overview
- Corporate Assistant: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Credentialing Specialist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Art Appraisal Training and Career Information
- Home Remodeling and Repair Training and Education Information
- Master of Accountancy (MAcc): Taxation Degree Overview
- Master of Accountancy (MAcc): Controllership Degree Overview
- Bachelor of Science (BS): Environmental Engineering Degree Overview
- Associate's in Legal Administrative Assistant: Degree Overview
- Laser Technology Majors: Information and Requirements