Master Degree in Public Speaking: Program Overviews
Get information on master's degree programs in communication studies. Read on to find out about prerequisites, required courses, options for continuing education and career possibilities.
Students seeking graduate-level training in public speaking will find the most relevant courses within a 2-year master's degree program in communication studies or speech communication. Individuals enrolled in these programs study advertising and marketing, interpersonal speech, public speaking techniques, communication technology and persuasion techniques. In addition to completing seminars and independent research, master's students complete a thesis project.
Some master's degree programs in communication and public speaking require that applicants hold a bachelor's degree in communication or a similar field, but other programs do not. Most graduate schools do require that applicants complete a Graduate Record Exam, or GRE, and receive high verbal and quantitative scores.
Most of the courses included in a master's degree program in communication studies with relation to public speaking are intensive and focus highly on research and teaching methodologies. Some examples include:
- Qualitative communications research
- Rhetorical criticism
- Advanced public speaking
- Communication theory and practice
- Interpersonal communication
- Corporate communication
- Problems in public discourse
- Persuasive movements
- Public relations and speaking
- Conflict management
Popular Career Options
There are several positions related to public speaking that are available to a graduate of a master's degree program in communication studies. Some of these include:
- Professor of speech and communication
- Motivational speaker
- Media professional
- On-air consultant
- Speech analyst
- Corporate trainer
Related to Master Degree Public Speaking
- Recently Updated
People who work in public speaking professions make speeches and presentations to live audiences in a variety of settings. Read...
Students aspiring to careers in law enforcement, corrections or the administration of justice might consider enrolling in a...
Explore a master's degree in architecture. Learn about the prerequisites, courses, careers, licensing and continuing education...
Learn about the course topics and themes that are part of a master's degree program in gerontology. Find out about program...
- Master of Ethnomusicology: Degree Overview
- Master of Communication: Degree Overview
- Master of Accountancy: Degree Overview
- M.Ed. in Secondary Curriculum & Instruction: Degree Overview
- Master of Education (M.Ed): Computer Education Degree Overview
- MS in Instructional Educator Technology: Degree Overview
- Master of Science (MS): Organization and Management Degree Overview
- Master of Accountancy (MAcc): Taxation Degree Overview
- Master of Accountancy (MAcc): Controllership Degree Overview
- Associate of Science (AS): Network Engineer Technology Degree Overview
- Associate of Science (AS): Interior Design Degree Overview
- MBA in Negotiation and Conflict Management Degree Overview