Masters in Development Studies Degree Programs
Learn about the field of development studies. Find out about prerequisites and coursework required for master's degrees in this field, as well as career options for graduates.
Development studies is an interdisciplinary branch of social sciences that is concerned with the economic and social development of countries. Master's degree programs in development studies have an international focus. These specialized degree programs are offered at U.S. schools, but they are more widely available in developing countries and in the United Kingdom, where the field originated.
Master's degree programs can usually be completed in 1-2 years. A thesis is typically required. Many programs also offer study abroad or internship opportunities to students, which allow for valuable hands-on research.
Students must have at least a bachelor's degree to be considered for admission to these programs; many programs prefer students with bachelor's degrees in a related field, like economics, political science, international business, or history. Applicants should also expect to submit standardized test scores, college transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.
Coursework in master's degree programs in development studies can vary widely based on students' specializations and whether or not they choose to study, work, or do research overseas. Common courses include:
- Global economics
- Political issues in development
- Leadership in developing countries
- Statistics and econometrics
Popular Career Options
Development studies degrees can lead to a variety of careers. Many graduates choose to pursue a doctorate in a related field. Master's degree holders can find work as:
- Development consultants
- Independent researchers or analysts
- Nonprofit executives
Related to Masters in Development Studies
- Recently Updated
Development programs train students in economics and urban planning, preparing them to assess and improve the economic and...
Read about associate degree studies relating to solutions development. Find details about areas of study, admission...
A master's degree program in child development is available online as a specialization of a psychology, education, or child,...
Learn about bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs in development studies. Get information on these programs,...
- Master's Degree in Human Development: Program Overview
- Masters Degree in Child and Adolescent Development: Program Info
- Masters Degree in Child Development: Program Overview
- Top School in Greenville, SC, for a Database Developer Bachelor's Degree
- Health Psychologist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top School in Newport News, VA, for an Information Systems Security Degree
- Environmental Psychology Jobs: Options, Requirements and Outlook
- Curriculum Development Masters Degree Program Information
- Career Options for a Master's in Organizational Development Degree
- Top School in Sioux Falls, SD, for an Information Systems Security Bachelor's Degree
- Top Public Administration Degree Program - Irvine, CA
- Top School in Columbus, OH, for a Criminal Justice Degree
- Caption Writer Job Information for Students Considering a Career As a Caption Writer
- Environmental Technicians Job Duties and Requirements for an Environmental Technician Career
- Iowa Photography Universities
- Magazine Editorial Assistant Employment Information and Requirements for Becoming a Magazine Editorial Assistant