Mechanical Engineering Diploma and Certificate Program Overviews
Consider earning a graduate certificate in mechanical engineering to enhance your knowledge of the field after completing an undergraduate to graduate degree. Read on to learn what courses are often included, the various job options and continuing education information.
The most common degree programs for mechanical engineers are offered on the bachelor's and master's levels, and there are no diploma programs in the field. However, there are some universities that offer graduate certificate programs for aspiring mechanical engineers and those already working in the field.
Mechanical engineering certificate programs are designed for individuals who have already earned a baccalaureate degree and possibly a graduate degree as well. These 12- to 15-credit programs are meant to provide individuals with a way to focus on a particular technical aspect of the mechanical engineering field. They are ideal for both recent graduates and working mechanical engineers who are looking to expand their knowledge and move ahead in their careers.
Certificate programs in mechanical engineering are offered at the graduate level and therefore require that students have a bachelor's or master's degree before applying. Some might also require that applicants have some real-world experience in the field of mechanical engineering.
Most mechanical engineering certificate programs cover advanced topics, such as applied mechanics, design of thermal systems, computer-aided manufacturing and control system design. Students generally choose to specialize in just one of these subjects. Some other concentration areas common to graduate certificate programs in mechanical engineering are listed below:
- Advanced mechanics of materials
- Stress analysis
- Finite element analysis
- Integrated manufacturing systems
- Computer-aided design
- Convection heat transfer
- Advanced vibrations
- Dynamic systems
- Advanced control systems design
Popular Career Options
Mechanical engineers use advanced mathematics and technology to design and implement the systems that make machines and new products function. Mechanical engineers are employed throughout several fields and industries. Those who have completed a graduate certificate program can find careers in the following areas:
- Product design and development
- Research and development
- Power plant management
- Large systems management
- Alternative energy consulting
- Electrical power management
- Product marketing
Continuing Education Information
For those looking to further their education in mechanical engineering, there is one step beyond the graduate certificate program. Ph.D. programs in mechanical engineering are designed for men and women seeking research careers in either industry or academics. Like graduate certificate programs, doctoral offerings often focus on a particular aspect of mechanical engineering, such as robotics or optimization.
Related to Mechanical Engineering Certificate
- Recently Updated
Get information on bachelor's degree programs in mechanical engineering. Learn about courses, licensing requirements and...
See which of the top-ranked schools offer graduate programs in mechanical engineering. Find out more about these programs and...
Few schools in the Phoenix area have top ranking mechanical engineering programs. Read on to find out more about what these top...
Read about an associate's degree program in mechanical engineering. Review some commonly offered courses, and check the...
- Top Schools for Mechanical Engineering
- Online Masters in Mechanical Engineering Program Information
- Online Mechanical Engineering Courses Overview
- Linguistic Anthropologist: Career Information and Requirements
- Bus Driver: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Life Scientist: Job Description, Duties, Salary and Outlook
- Top Health Information Technology Degree Program - Columbus, OH
- List of Free Online Mechanical Engineering Classes and Courses
- Career Information for a Degree in General Mechanical Engineering
- Video Game Programmer: Career Info for Becoming a Video Game Programmer
- Top School in Santa Barbara for a Photojournalism Degree
- Physical Therapist Licensure and Credentialing Information