Mediation Certification and Certificate Program Information
Get information about mediation certificate programs. Learn about the curriculum, prerequisites, continuing education opportunities and career options in this field.
Mediators aid in the resolution of disputes without involving the judicial system. Students interested in becoming mediators or arbitrators for businesses and federal agencies can pursue a mediation certificate. Most mediation certificate programs require one or two semesters of study and teach students business law, negotiation, arbitration and facilitative mediation techniques. After completing a mediation certificate program, students can seek mediation and arbitration careers with businesses that utilize structured contracts and negotiations to meet business demands. Certification options are available for experienced mediators.
Mediation certificate requirements are minimal. In most programs, students are required to have a high school diploma and submit official transcripts. Students are not generally required to submit SAT or ACT scores.
Mediation courses focus on business law, communication and negotiation tactics. Students learn to outline business goals and collaborate with other business professionals to meet shared objectives. Courses teach students to create, maintain and change contracts and other legal documents. A mediation certificate program usually includes courses on:
- Facilitative mediation
- Conflict and dispute resolution
- Arbitration concepts
- Workplace negotiation
- Business law
- Health care mediation
Popular Career Options
With a mediation certificate, students can seek mediating positions with private businesses, nonprofit organizations, federal agencies and other large organizations. Most careers involve heavy interaction with other business professionals, particularly in management and human resources departments. Although most arbitrators and mediators work normal hours, contract negotiations and disputes can force mediators to work long or irregular hours. Common career options include:
- Human resources managers
- Business training specialists
- Employee welfare managers
- Employer relations representative
Continuing Education Information
To strengthen their academic qualifications, mediators with a certificate can pursue a bachelor's degree in business administration, management or human resources. With an advanced degree, mediators can pursue various business-related positions and work in different industries, including financial, telecommunications, insurance and investment and manufacturing companies. A bachelor's or master's degree in business administration can also help mediators obtain supervisory or management positions with businesses and federal agencies.
The National Institute for Advanced Conflict Resolution maintains a list of programs that offer certification for mediators. The Association for Conflict Resolution offers similar information as well as networking and career advice for mediators, arbitrators and other conflict resolution representatives.
Related to Mediation Certification
- Recently Updated
Read a summary of a mediation degree program here. Check out the program's entrance requirements and see the type of courses...
Students can earn a master's degree in mediation through online Master of Science, Master of Arts and Master of Business...
Mediation has become the preferred alternative for contesting parties wishing to resolve their disputes at minimal cost. An...
Some legal disputes are settled with the assistance of a mediator. The services provided by dispute resolution experts,...
- Conflict Management Careers: Job Options and Requirements
- Online Conflict Resolution Degree, Certificate & Diploma Programs
- Patent Agent Certification: Information and Requirements
- Top College in Virginia Beach for HVAC Technician Training
- Top School in Newport News, VA, for an Information Systems Security Degree
- Top School in Salt Lake City for a Finance Degree
- Psychology Degree: Top Ranked School for Psychology Degrees - Tampa, FL
- Interpreter Certification Programs: Overview of Options
- Copyediting Certification and Training Program Information
- Top Degree Programs in Business Administration - Little Rock, AR
- Top-Rated Information Systems Security Degree in Greenville, SC
- Portfolio Administrator Job Description and Career Information