Medical Office Administrator Certification and Certificate Programs
Read this article for detailed information about certificate programs in medical office administration. Find out what the prerequisites are, what courses are likely to be taken and what continuing education options are offered. Furthermore, read about certification requirements, job outlook information and salary statistics.
Medical office administrators are responsible for assisting with the day-to-day and long-term operations of a physician's office, dental office, clinic or hospital. Medical office administrators must have a working knowledge of health care practices and have training in computers and office applications. In most cases, obtaining a certificate can be adequate to begin working as a medical office administrator.
The certificate in medical office administration trains students for entry-level positions in this field. Students are trained to work in the front office as receptionists or in the back office, looking after patients' charts and performing billing duties. Courses students could expect to take include medical transcription, medical claims processing and coding and billing.
A high school diploma or equivalent is required, and certified high school transcripts must be provided. Some trade schools require an entrance examination before enrolling.
Students are provided with the knowledge and skills to work in a medical office. The administrative focus of the certificate program may include courses in:
- Word processing
- Patient data collection
- Insurance claims processing
- Bookkeeping and medical coding and billing
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
Physician's office administrators earned an annual mean wage of $51,730 per year in 2012, according to BLS - U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov). Average job growth of 14% was expected from 2010-2020.
Graduates of a certificate program may further their career by studying for an associate's degree or bachelor's degree in medical office administration or medical office management.
Related to Medical Office Administrator Certification
- Recently Updated
Working as a medical office administrator requires little formal education. Learn about the education, job duties and...
Working as a medical administrator requires little formal education. Learn about the training, job duties and requirements to...
Learn how to become a medical clinic administrator. Research the job duties and education requirements, and find out how to...
Learn about what work an office administrator performs. Discover academic requirements and needed skills as well as employment...
- Schools and Colleges with Medical Office Technology Programs
- Medical Office Assistant Certification and Certificate Program Info
- Medical Office Receptionist Training Program Information
- Top Network Systems Administration Degree Program - Long Beach, CA
- Bus Driver: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Army JAG Officer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Pediatric Physical Therapist: Job Description and Requirements
- Medical Office Specialist Certification and Training Program Info
- Medical Office Technology Careers: Job Descriptions, Duties & Requirements
- Top Interior Design Degree Program - Arlington, VA
- Top Graphic Design & Multimedia Arts School in San Bernardino, CA
- Top Ranked Computer Networking Degree Programs - Fremont, CA