Mental Health Masters Degree Programs
Many universities offer master's degrees in mental health counseling. Graduates of such programs can earn their professional counselor licenses. Mental health counselors may work in various environments, including elementary schools, high schools, universities, psychiatric hospitals, mental health institutions and drug rehabilitation facilities.
Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling
Master's programs in mental health counseling seek to educate students in advanced concepts, like assessment, human psychology and clinical instruction. Candidates are usually expected to complete a minimum number of hours with patients in clinical rotations. Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling degrees qualify students to sit for the professional licensing exam; in some cases, candidates may pursue licensing concurrent to their attendance in the program.
All graduate program applicants must hold bachelor's degrees. Many programs require students to submit scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Applicants may be required to have completed specific undergraduate in math, science and psychology. Some highly selective programs interview applications as part of the admissions process.
Master's degree programs in mental health counseling emphasize research, and candidates may be required to complete an original thesis as part of the curriculum. Typical courses in a mental health counseling program include the following:
- Counseling theory
- Group counseling
- Testing and assessment
- Research methods for counseling
- Community mental health
- Multicultural counseling
- Lifespan human development
Employment Outlook and Salary Info
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), www.bls.gov, predicts the number job openings for mental health counselors will exceed the number of available mental health counselors between 2006 and 2016. According to BLS data from 2008, the average annual salary for mental health counselors was $40,270.
Master of Arts in Mental Health Counseling
Mental health counselors are one of five mental health professions recognized by the National Institute of Health. Similar to the Master of Science program discussed above, candidates earning Master of Arts in Mental Health degrees study a broader range of subjects including psychology, diagnostics and ethics. Candidates in this program must complete a mandatory minimum number of clinic hours with patients.
Students interested in a graduate degree are required to hold a bachelor's degree. Applicants to mental health counseling programs must submit GRE scores for admission. Many programs require that applicants have a minimum GPA of 2.5 for their undergraduate transcripts.
In addition to clinical practice, mental health graduate students will be required to take many theoretical courses. Courses may include the following:
- Group dynamics
- Personal psychology
- Professional and personal ethics
- Grief counseling
- Clinical instruction
- Family counseling
- Clinical supervision
Popular Career Options
Those with Master of Arts and Master of Science degrees in Mental Health Counseling are qualified for many counseling positions. Some of these job titles include the following:
- High school counselor
- Elementary school counselors
- Vocational counselors
- Rehabilitation counselors
- Marriage and family therapist
Related to Mental Health Masters
- Recently Updated
Studies suggest that college students have a higher rate of depression and anxiety due to the pressures of schoolwork...
Mental health specialists often have both counseling and social work skills. They work with individuals who have...
Specific Doctor of Mental Health degrees were offered during the 1970s and 1980s and are less common now. As an...
Mental health counselors must generally have a master's degree or higher for state or national certification. Most...
- Associates Degree in Mental Health: Program Overview
- Online Mental Health Degree Program Information and Options
- Online Courses in Mental Health: Course Descriptions
- Top University with an Information Technology Degree - Kansas City, MO
- Top School for a Nursing Degree - Colorado Springs, CO
- Top Psychology Master's Degree Programs - San Francisco, CA
- Top Ranked Master's Program in Management Information Systems - Columbus, OH
- Schools for Aspiring Mental Health Counselors: How to Choose
- How to Choose a School for Aspiring Mental Health Technicians
- Best School for Learning Digital Media and Multimedia - Phoenix, AZ
- Top Master's Program for Healthcare Management - Jacksonville, FL
- Best School for Multimedia and Graphic Design Degrees - Kansas City, MO