Motorcycle Mechanic Certification and Certificate Program Info
Motorcycle mechanics, also known as motorcycle technicians, specialize in the repair and maintenance of motorcycles, scooters, dirt bikes, mopeds and other small-engines vehicles. Although a certificate and certification is not necessarily required for employment as a motorcycle mechanic, they do increase the likelihood of finding employment and can lead to higher wages and future administrative positions.
Certificate in Motorcycle Repair
Students interested in pursuing training as a motorcycle mechanic should look for motorcycle technology, motorcycle repair or motorcycle technician certificate programs offered at community colleges or trade schools. These programs emphasize service and maintenance, 2- stroke and 4-stroke cycle engines and brake systems. Students also learn safety skills for power and hand tools. Upon completion of these programs, students typically earn a certificate of graduation from the institution.
Motorcycle repair certificate programs typically require around 36 weeks for completion. Most programs require that students complete internships in addition to their training coursework. Typical courses in these programs may include:
- Fundamentals of electricity
- Ignition systems
- Electrical systems
- Starting systems
- Fuel systems
- Exhaust and emissions controls
- Small engines repair & maintenance
Salary Information and Employment Outlook
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov), employment for small engine mechanics is expected to increase by seven percent between 2008 and 2018, with the best prospects projected for those with formal training. In 2008, the average hourly wage for motorcycle mechanics was $15.08, with mechanics employed at motorcycle dealerships and retail shops earning a slightly higher average.
Certification Information and Continuing Education
Motorcycle mechanics may elect to obtain voluntary certification from one or more motorcycle manufacturers. Because specialized manufacturer certification may be required for employment at a manufacturer dealership or retail store, many motorcycle mechanics elect to obtain certification to increase their job prospects and marketability.
Most motorcycle manufacturers, such as such as Harley-Davidson, Honda, Suzuki and BMW motorcycles, offer certification programs. Which certification program a potential motorcycle mechanic chooses depends on which vehicles they expect to be working on most often in their career; it is possible to gain multiple certifications.
Students interested in obtaining certifications may complete manufacturer electives through many motorcycle repair and motorcycle technician certificate programs, or may take certification courses offered through trade schools or community colleges. A manufacturer certification program typically includes training in manufacturer diagnostic test equipment, special tools, parts systems and specific vehicle models.
Related to Motorcycle Mechanic Certificate
- Recently Updated
Motorcycle Mechanics work on motorcycles, dirt bikes, mopeds and other small engine vehicles. They can use their...
Motorcycle mechanics earn their living servicing motorcycles, mopeds and other personal transportation vehicles. The...
Over 16,000 motorcycle mechanics are employed in the United States. They repair or overhaul motorcycles and other...
Honda Motorcycle Mechanic: Job Description and Information for Those Interested in Working with Honda Motorcycles
Honda Motorcycle Mechanics specialize in the maintenance and repair of Honda-manufactured motorcycles, motor scooters,...
- BMW Motorcycle Mechanic: Job Description and Requirements for Becoming a BMW Motorcycle Mechanic
- Become a Ford-Certified Mechanic: Certification and Career Info
- Hot Rod and Custom Motorcycle Fabrication Schools
- Top Business Accounting Degree Programs - New York, NY
- Top School for a Multimedia and Information Technology Degree - Jacksonville, FL
- Top Human Resource Management Degree Programs - Colorado Springs, CO
- Top University for a Degree in Computer Information Systems - Arlington, VA
- Commercial Boat Mechanic: Job Duties and Info for Students Interested in Repairing Large Commercial Boats
- Forklift Mechanic Certification and Training Program Information
- Best School for a Public Administration Degree - Miami, FL
- Top University with a Marketing Degree Concentration - Jacksonville, FL
- Top Ranked Psychology Degree Programs - Kansas City, MO