Naval Architecture Masters Degree Programs
Governments and businesses regularly rely on naval architects for shipping and traveling needs. A Master of Science degree program in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering grooms students to work numerous positions involving the design and repair of ships. Graduate classes focus predominantly on math and science and prepare graduates for the engineering licensing exam.
Master of Science Degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
Graduate students use their existing science backgrounds to assist them with mastering complex marine engineering and naval architecture techniques. While studying the latest machinery in the field, students learn to properly incorporate new technology into their work. Scholars obtain a thorough understanding of water and weather patterns due to the impact natural activities can have on sea vessels. Aspiring naval architects practice designing and building popular ships in addition to learning how to improve and develop upon pre-existing models. Sea crafts discussed include:
- Work ships
- Submarines and warships
- Yachts and cruise ships
- Merchant boats
- Personal recreational vessels
Transcripts of a student's post-secondary education must be sent with applications to graduate schools. Scholars normally enter into the master's degree program with minimum GPAs of 3.2 and Bachelor of Science degrees in naval architecture and marine engineering. Along with letters of reference from former professors or other professionals, prospects present statements of purpose along with their applications to graduate schools. In some cases, universities also require applicants to submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores.
Naval architecture classes focus on the science and craft of marine vessels. Students learn to make structures and ships float both in theory and practice. In some cases, a master's degree program requires students to complete a final thesis project along with a presentation. Sample course topics include:
- Ship strength and reliability
- Marine hydrodynamics
- Marine structures and mechanics
- Remote wave motion sensory
- Optimization of marine systems
- Marine system safety
- Advanced naval design
Popular Career Options
Professionals in this field design and repair machinery and water vessels using aquatic engineering and naval architecture. Additionally, people working in this field can pass on their knowledge of naval architecture by managing or teaching others. Job titles include:
- Naval architect
- Marine engineer
- Boat and ship repairperson
- Marine and naval researcher
Employment Outlook and Salary Info
The job outlook for naval architects and marine engineers was projected to grow by 17% from 2010-2020, stated the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The median annual wages of navel architects and marine engineers were $88,100, and the highest paying industries were management companies and architectural, engineering and related services.
Continuing Education Information
After completing a master's degree program, prospective marine engineers must obtain licensure from the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying. Preparation courses are available through the Society of Naval Architects & Marine Engineers. Graduates looking to continue their education can also attain Ph.D.s in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering.
Related to Naval Architecture Masters
- Recently Updated
Naval architects work closely with marine engineers to design, create and maintain a broad range of marine vehicles and...
A Doctor of Philosophy, or Ph.D., in Naval Engineering allows students to gain an advanced education in the design and...
Research boat architecture and naval engineering bachelor's degree programs. Get information about courses and job prospects to...
Naval architects design and construction large ships for ocean travel. Marine engineers design the systems that allow the ship...
- Distance Learning Naval Architecture Degree Programs and Courses
- Master of Architecture: Architecture Degree Overview
- Master of Science (MS): Architecture Degree Overview
- Schools for Aspiring Aviation Electricians: How to Choose
- Information Technology Degree Program Summaries by Program Level
- Manhattan, New York, Borough Facts and Higher Education Info
- Schools for Aspiring Building Contractors: How to Choose
- Boat Architecture Training and Degree Program Summaries
- Top Landscape Architecture Masters and Graduate Programs: School List
- Schools for Aspiring Network Systems Analysts: How to Choose
- Brooklyn, New York, Borough Vital Facts and Higher Education Info
- McPherson, Kansas, Town Information and Higher Education Facts