Occupational Therapy Bachelor Degree Online with School Info
Online bachelor's degree programs in occupational therapy, called transitional programs, are reserved for students who have experience and credentials in the field. Keep reading for info about a school offering distance learning in occupational therapy.
Students who already have their occupational therapy assistant credentials can pursue advanced study online through a transitional program. Several schools offer transitional distance learning programs that allow current occupational therapy assistants to earn both their bachelor's and master's degrees in occupational therapy. Most of these programs do not accept students who are only seeking a bachelor's degree.
A transitional program often combines online coursework during the weekdays and evenings with weekend courses on campus. The average transitional online program takes about 3.5 years to complete and includes coursework in the following:
- Rehabilitative science
- Occupational therapy foundations
- Practice management
Other Distance Options
In addition to the transitional degree program, there are other ways that students can study occupational therapy online, including associate's degree programs in occupational therapy assisting and master's degree programs in occupational therapy.
Occupational therapy assistants work closely with occupational therapists to provide rehabilitative services, but the associate's degree is the only educational requirement for state licensure in occupational therapy assisting. Online associate's degree programs in occupational therapy assisting combine online lecture courses with on-campus labs and some on-campus weekend courses.
Students may also be required to complete fieldwork or clinical assignments to gain hands-on experience in the field before graduation. Coursework is usually the same for online and on-campus students and typically includes topics in patient care, applied kinesiology and physical functions.
Several schools offer online master's degree programs in occupational therapy for individuals who already have a bachelor's degree in the field and have passed the initial certification exam by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). Some colleges require students to blend on-campus courses with distance learning courses, while others allow students to complete the full degree program online.
Because these post-professional online programs build on students' existing academic and clinical experience, most programs can be completed in under two years of continuous study. Coursework in online programs is similar to coursework in on-campus post-professional programs and may include healthcare management, evidence-based practices and management techniques.
Schools Offering Online Programs
Schools offering virtual training in occupational therapy and occupational therapy assisting include private, not-for-profit institutions, for-profit colleges and public universities. Below is a list of some schools offering online and hybrid degree programs in this field of study.
- Remington College (Associate Degree)
- Concordia University - Wisconsin (Transitional Program)
- University of Southern California (Master's Degree)
- San Jose State University (Master's Degree)
Related to Occupational Therapy Online Bachelor Degree School
- Recently Updated
Occupational therapists help people to recover basic motor functions, cognitive abilities and mobility so they can return to...
Occupational therapists (OTs) help the injured, elderly and disabled rehabilitate and adapt to physical and cognitive...
See what the top occupational therapy schools have to offer below. Find out more about program options and why these schools...
Occupational therapists help patients overcome physical, mental and emotional challenges that prevent them from normal,...
- Top Schools for Occupational Therapy
- Online Associate's Degree in Occupational Therapy: Program Overview
- Online Doctor of Occupational Therapy Degree Program Information
- Field Investigator: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Career Information for a Degree in Theology
- Instructional Technology Specialist: Job Description and Requirements
- Import-Export Clerk: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in Occupational Therapy: Program Summary
- Occupational Therapy Continuing Education Requirements
- Top School for a Degree in Accounting and Finance - San Francisco, CA
- Career Info for a Degree in Clinical Laboratory Assisting
- Optical Lab Technician: Job Description, Duties and Requirements