Online Art History Courses with Class Descriptions
Online art history courses can be taken to satisfy degree program requirements or possibly for personal interest. Several universities across the U.S. offer online art history courses. Read details about two of these institutions in this article.
Schools and Courses
Aspiring art teachers, professors, critics or gallery directors might pursue a bachelor's, master's or doctoral degree in art history. Students of art history programs can in some cases take introductory and more advanced courses online. Online coursework is typically part of an undergraduate or graduate program. Distance learning art history students may take courses in topics such as ancient and medieval art or art appreciation. Two universities providing these online courses, one in Pennsylvania and one in Florida, are profiled here.
Online Art History Courses at Pennsylvania State University
Pennsylvania State University was originally established as an agricultural college in 1855 and later led the way in extension and correspondence courses in the early 1900s. Pennsylvania State University's World Campus gives students the opportunity to reach their educational goals through online learning.
- Ancient to Medieval Art: Students are introduced to ancient artworks, beginning with Egyptian and proceeding through to Gothic art in this online art history course. Throughout this undergraduate course, sculptures and paintings from these historic eras are discussed with an emphasis on cross-cultural, political, religious and economic issues. This course is an introduction to art history, has no prerequisites and can complement related art history courses.
- Address: 201 Old Main, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802-1589
- Phone Number: (814) 865-4700
Online Art History Courses at University of Florida
The University of Florida is the oldest university in the state, with its beginning dating back to 1853 as the East Florida Seminary. The university has 16 colleges that work with the Division of Continuing Education to supply and support online courses and degree programs.
- Art Appreciation: This online undergraduate course is an introduction to art history. Students are exposed to art and architecture from around the world. Composition, theme and other elements of expression in art will be discussed in order for students to gain skills in analyzing, describing and assessing works of art. This online art history course introduces students to famous artworks and discusses similarities and influences across cultures. The course is organized in 16 lessons with two lessons per week. Students enrolled in the online art history course are expected to complete 16 written papers and read all assigned literature.
- Address: 355 Tigert Hall, Gainesville, Florida 32611-3115
- Phone Number: (352) 392-3261
Related to Art History Online Course
- Recently Updated
Technological advancement has been kind to art enthusiasts and students. Thanks to the ease with which we can store and...
Read on to learn about the top schools with art history graduate programs. Examine university rankings, school locations and...
Get an in-depth look at art history studies at the undergraduate level. Find out about program prerequisites, common course...
See our list of the top free online art history courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they cover to...
- Best Schools with Art History Degree Programs
- Art History Careers: Job Options and Training Requirements
- Art History Degree and Certificate Program Information
- Medical Assistant: Requirements to Be a Physician's Assistant
- Job Description of a Sound Producer: Duties and Salary
- Salary and Career Info for an E-Business Manager
- Become an Environmental Biologist: Education and Career Roadmap