Online Bachelor of Library Science Degree Program Summaries
A library science major acquires skills that are valuable in many industries, including how to develop, store, find, categorize and use various types of information. Read on for summaries about online bachelor's degree programs in library science.
Overview of Programs
Prospective students who wish to pursue an online bachelor's degree program in library science may consider online programs in liberal or general studies with a library science concentration. Library informatics programs may also be available through distance learning.
A bachelor's degree program calls for completion of general education courses in such subjects as composition, math and science. Some online library science programs are designed as degree completion programs for students who possess an associate degree or who have completed some undergraduate courses. Typical major courses required for a bachelor's degree in library science include:
- Introduction to librarianship
- Library material selection
- Library administration
- Library media center automation
- Information services and sources
- Media for adolescents
- Children's media
- Cataloging and classification
Online Learning Details
An online library science program is different from one that takes place on campus, in that students typically log in at their own convenience; some courses may have synchronized sessions. Students complete class discussions, assignments and other work through an online course delivery system, such as Blackboard. In addition, interaction with peers and instructors can take place through video conferencing. Students may utilize learning aids such as videos, CDs and resources accessed via the online school library.
Continuing Your Education
The majority of careers in academic and public librarianship require advanced degrees. As a result, many schools that offer online bachelor's degree programs in library science also offer online Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) programs, making it easier for students to continue their studies.
Some graduates can find employment as K-12 school librarians with only a bachelor's degree, but they are usually required to have a state teaching license as well. Many graduates with a bachelor's degree in library science have the critical thinking, communications and research skills that are valuable to a variety of employers and industries. Library science graduates who immediately go into the workforce can expect to find positions as:
- Online researchers
- Library paraprofessionals
- Online content editors
- Information services managers
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), while growth in the library and information science field is expected to be slow between 2012 and 2022, the best career opportunities will be in non-traditional settings, such as consulting firms, private corporations and nonprofit organizations. A library science graduate employed in these environments might create databases, websites or Intranet sites, in order to organize valuable information for the employer or clients.
Related to Online Bachelor Library Science Degree
- Recently Updated
A master's degree in library science prepares graduates to work as librarians in such settings as academic libraries, public...
Students enrolled in a master's degree program in library science take core classes before enrolling in electives for public...
Learn about the requirements and courses for earning a master's degree in library science. Find out about some popular career...
Library science is usually studied by those seeking to be librarians, although aspiring library technicians, archivists, museum...
- Associate Degree in Library Science: Program Overview
- Bachelor's Degree in Library Science: Program Summary
- College Student and Mother of Two Speaks Out About the Benefits of the Open Course Library
- Associate of Plumbing and Heating Technology: Degree Overview
- K-6 Education Degree and Certification Program Information
- AS in Information Technology Security: Degree Overview
- Online Computed Tomography Certification: Program Info
- The Open Course Library Can Save Students $100 Per Course
- Tom Caswell and the Open Course Library: Making Education Truly Accessible
- Jazz Musician: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Undergraduate Electrical Engineering Distance Learning Courses
- Bachelor of Fashion & Retail Management: Degree Overview