Free Online Biochemistry Course and Class Overviews
Several prominent colleges and universities offer free biochemistry courses online. The courses are the same as the ones taken on campus, with the exception that a student does not earn college credit for coursework.
Where Can I Find Free Online Biochemistry Courses?
Some colleges provide OpenCourseWare (OCW) programs to online students. The courses cost nothing and are the school's way to pay back the community that supports them. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Arizona and the University of Akron all offer free online biochemistry courses.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT's online biochemistry laboratory course is offered through the chemistry department. Students will examine the tools and methods used by biochemists to dissect biological problems. Students enrolled in the online course analyze the mode of action and structure of proteins.
There are six 1-hour lecture sessions and two 4-hour lab sessions. Lecture notes are available for download. Students can take examinations online, but they are not graded or scored, and students do not get answers to the questions.
University of Arizona
The Biology Project is offered through the University of Arizona's Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics. The department has recently made adjustments to the program so that it is accessible to students who must use assistive technology.
The biochemistry program covers an array of science fields, including chemistry, metabolic acidosis and alkalosis, large molecules, acids, bases and amino acids. Topics on metabolism, photosynthesis, energy, enzymes and catalysis are also explored. Support is offered for non-English speaking students.
University of Akron
The University of Akron offers an intermediate class in biochemistry through its Concepts of Biochemistry program. Students learn about carbohydrates, lipids, protein structure, DNA, energy transduction and metabolism. Films are presented that illustrate the molecular structure of various molecules in rotation to provide students with a geometrical view of structures. Several other chemistry-related lessons may be accessed through the school's website.
Related to Biochemistry Course Online
- Recently Updated
Students who are interested in studying life at the molecular level may want to look into studying biochemistry. There are many...
Metabolic biochemistry is the study of how cells within living organisms derive energy and then use that energy to power...
Biochemistry majors may find jobs with pharmaceutical companies, government agencies and health organizations. Students...
Biochemistry combines the studies of biology, chemistry and physics to research how science affects living organisms. Students...
- PhD Programs in Biochemistry: Degree Program and Career Information
- Biochemistry Master's Degree Program Overviews
- Biochemistry Technologist: Job Description and Career Advancement Info
- Cinematographer: Educational Requirements & Career Info
- Medical Records Manager: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Risk Analyst: Job Description & Career Info
- Disc Jockey (DJ): Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- How to Become a Protein Biochemistry Research Associate
- Medical Biochemistry Careers: Job Options and Requirements
- Cooling Designer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Best School for a Degree in Marketing - Bakersfield, CA
- Top Rated Computer Information Systems Degree Programs - Schaumburg, IL