Online College Courses for High School Students: Course Overviews
Taking courses online can be an excellent way for high school students to earn college credits or simply gain college-level experience in the classroom. Read on to learn about online college courses offered by such well-regarded institutions as Brown University, the University of Pennsylvania, Oregon State University and California State University - Dominguez Hills.
Where Can I Find Online College Courses for High School Students?
Brown University offers a competitive pre-college program that gives high school students the opportunity to experience college-level coursework and find out what subjects interest them. These courses are available any time of year and can be completed on your own schedule.
Pre-college courses offered through Brown University online include:
- Writing for College & Beyond
- Crafting a Video Essay
- Anatomy, Physiology and Disease
- DNA Science
- Lessons in Leadership
- So You Want to Be a Doctor?
- Exploring Engineering
University of Pennsylvania
The University of Pennsylvania offers online college courses to high school students through Penn Summer Online. This summer program is available to highly motivated students who are currently in the ninth, tenth or 11th grades. Successful completion of Penn Summer Online courses may lead to academic credit that can be applied toward an undergraduate degree.
Students may enroll in up to two classes per summer. Available courses include:
- U.S. history
- World music
- Greek mythology
Oregon State University
High school students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 can earn college credits online through Oregon State University's (OSU) extended campus. These are regular OSU courses, so your online classmates will include adult college students; standard tuition and fees do apply.
More than 40 courses are available to high school students through OSU online, including:
- Introduction to Chemistry
- Atmospheric sciences
- Women's studies
- Wildlife conservation
California State University - Dominguez Hills (CSUDH)
Several institutions in the California State University system offer a Young Scholars program that allows high school students to earn college credit. However, CSUDH is one of the few that allows young scholars to take courses online.
High school students who live in California can earn up to six units of college credit per semester for under five dollars. Classes are webcast at a specific time each week, giving students the opportunity to interact with instructors in a live format. Available courses change each term, and may include:
- Interpretation of art
- Marine life
- American history
- Recreational studies
Related to Online College Courses for High School Students
- Recently Updated
Each year many high school students take on the challenge of enrolling in local college courses. Although there are...
Dual enrollment - taking high school and college classes at the same time - is increasingly common among students....
Reports show that high school students are taking more advanced courses, but some fear the course content is not as...
High school is an important time for setting the stage for your future. Part of that is not doing anything stupid that...
- More Than One in Four College Students Take Courses Online
- Can Taking a Year Off After High School Save You Time and Money?
- Students Can Learn on Their Own Time at Utah Electronic High School
- Top Degree Programs in Electronics - Anaheim, CA
- Top International Business Degree Program - Atlanta, GA
- Top University with Human Resource Management Degree Programs - Phoenix, AZ
- Top Criminal Justice Degree Program - Colorado Springs, CO
- Vonnegut Library Donates Banned Book to Missouri High School Students
- High School Students Taking the Core Curriculum Are Not College Ready
- Top International Business Degree Program - Indianapolis, IN
- Top Electronics Engineering Degree Program - Houston, TX
- Top University with Business Marketing Degree Programs - Indianapolis, IN