Online Degree Programs: Requirements and Options
Enrollment in online courses (those in which 80% or more of the content is presented online) grew dramatically from 1.98 million students in 2003 to 4.6 million in 2008 (www.sloanconsortium.org). Online degree programs are available in more than a dozen fields and are ideal for nontraditional students who work full time, have children or are otherwise unable to attend more conventional campus programs.
Requirements for Online Degree Programs
Many requirements for an online degree are the same as for an on-campus degree. Students must be accepted by the university based on GPA, college testing scores and other criteria. Tuition and sometimes books or other fees are required.
Requirements that are different for online programs are those related to computer technology. There are several requirements that a student needs to be aware of in addition to Internet access.
Requirements for Computer Operating Systems and Web Browsers
Most colleges use Blackboard as their medium for online classes. Blackboard has several versions and unfortunately, no version is compatible with all operating systems or all browsers. A required Java Run Time browser plug-in should also be a version compatible with Blackboard. Students must check with the college to find out which operating systems, browsers and plug-ins will work with the Blackboard version it uses.
Requirements for Computer Hardware
There are computer hardware requirements beyond the operating system that must be met. These include:
- A 1GHz or greater CPU processor
- Hard drive capacity of at least 10 GB
- Ram of 512 MB or larger
- DVD-ROM drive
- Sound card and speakers
Requirements for Computer Skills
Most students will have at least basic computer skills. These are necessary for online classes and include:
- Using the keyboard and mouse
- Minimizing, maximizing, resizing and moving windows with one or multiple windows open
- Word processing skills
- Creating, saving, copying and organizing files and folders
- Opening PDF files
- Using the Internet
- Navigating and saving programs and applications
- Using e-mails and chat rooms
Options for Online Degree Programs
Many options for online degree programs are the same as those for residential students, including what school to attend, what degree to pursue and what major to choose. Degree options in many online programs are as varied as on-campus and range from associate degrees through doctorates in dozens of majors.
Options in Areas of Study Available for Online Degrees
Online degree programs typically offer the same coursework as campus-based programs. Some of the fields in which online degrees are available are:
- Social services and public administration
- Public safety and law enforcement
- Medical/Health professions and psychology
- Mechanic and repair technologies
- Engineering and engineering technologies
- Computer sciences and communication technologies
- Communication and journalism
Options for Campus Time Required for Online Degrees
Despite being taught online using Web conferences, prerecorded lectures, online videos, teleconferences, bulletin boards and typed lectures, some online degree programs require students to spend minimal amounts of time on campus. Although students communicate regularly with professors and classmates through message boards, e-mail, instant messages and chat rooms, time on campus allows them to meet with professors, advisors and classmates and to attend workshops.
Other programs are hybrid or blended courses. These classes have a sizable amount of the content presented online and often use online discussions. The number of face-to-face classes is reduced, but is still a substantial part of the program. The student must decide which program type will best meet his or her needs.
Related to Online Degrees
- Recently Updated
Students in an online degree program learn through the Internet and web-based software. Online degrees follow a...
Online degree programs may follow a strict schedule and run congruent to on-campus programs. Or they may be entirely...
The online bachelor's degree in film teaches students to shoot videos, edit material and prepare media for viewing....
Students interested in a career as a commercial airline pilot or air traffic controller might opt to obtain a Bachelor...
- Online Arts and Sciences Associate Degree Programs: Overview of Common Programs
- Online Bachelor's Degree in Photography: Program Overview
- Online Undergraduate Music Degree Options
- Top School for a Degree in E-Commerce - Anaheim, CA
- Top School for a Mental Health Counseling Degree - Phoenix, AZ
- Top School for a Networking Degree - Kansas City, MO
- Best School for a Degree in Criminal Justice - Arlington, VA
- Online Bachelors Degree Programs in Music: Program Summaries
- Online Masters Degree in Transportation: Program Information
- Top Graphic Design School - Long Beach, CA
- Top Ranked School for a Degree in Construction Management - Arlington, VA
- Best Degree Programs for Learning Electronics - Fort Wayne, IN