Online Degree Programs in Guidance Counseling with Course Info
Guidance counseling degree programs offered online typically begin at the graduate level. Taking guidance counselor courses in an online environment offers students flexibility for when, where and how they complete many of the requirements for the degree program. However, most programs that prepare individuals to become guidance counselors require a clinical experience, residency or an internship.
Common Courses in an Online Master's Degree in Guidance Counseling Program
Many master's degree programs for guidance counselors are based on a model offered by the American School Counselor Associate (ASCA). Programs include coursework, field training and residencies. Online master's degree programs for guidance counseling allow students to manage and deliver contemporary school counseling programs and act as a school leader to advocate for the educational, social and personal needs of students. Courses in a master-level guidance counseling program may include:
- Human Development and Behavior
- Survey of Research Methodology
- Assessment, Tests and Measures
- Group Counseling and Psychotherapy
- Life Planning and Career Development
- Ethnic and Cultural Awareness
- School Counseling Practicum
Common Courses in an Online Doctor of Philosophy in Guidance Counseling Program
Professionals seeking a higher credential in guidance counseling may consider an online Ph.D. program, which will allow them to continue their work obligations while completing a doctoral degree in their spare time. Those pursuing this degree program aim to expand their career opportunities while contributing to the field of counseling through research. Like many master's degree programs, online Ph.D. programs may require in-person field training or residencies. Online Ph.D. programs typically require students to complete advanced research and a dissertation. Common courses in an online Ph.D. in Guidance Counseling include:
- Psychopathology Assessment and Treatment
- Life Planning and Career Development
- Social Science Research
- Advanced Qualitative Methods
- The Family in Social Context
- Child and Adolescent Counseling
Possible Careers in Guidance Counseling
Students completing online master's degree and Ph.D. programs in guidance counseling typically pursue careers in research and education. The most common job sought is that of guidance counselor, though graduates may also pursue careers in educational research or counseling within an educational setting.
Related to Online Degree Programs in Guidance Counseling
- Recently Updated
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programs in guidance counseling train individuals for senior leadership positions in the...
Guidance counseling involves working with children to aid and develop goals for their future. Though most commonly...
School counselors are needed at all levels of education to help students cope with and understand personal, behavioral...
People interested in helping others make academic, career and life choices can consider a degree program in counseling...
- Guidance Counselor: Educational Requirements for a Career in Guidance Counseling
- Guidance Counseling: Overview of Guidance Counselor Continuing Education Programs
- Counseling: Overview of Continuing Education Programs for Guidance Counselors
- Top Degree Programs for Web Design and Multimedia - Anaheim, CA
- Photography Degree: Top Ranked Photography School - Chicago, IL
- Top Ranked School for Healthcare Management - Chicago, IL
- Top Graphic Design and Animation Degrees - Jersey City, NJ
- Top Schools for Counseling and Guidance
- Master of Arts (MA): Guidance Counseling Degree Overview
- Top Electronics and Electrical Engineering Technologies Degree - Atlanta, GA
- Top School for a Multimedia and Information Technology Degree - Jacksonville, FL
- Top Ranked School for Information Technology - Jersey City, NJ