Online Physics Classes by Subject with Class Descriptions
Many colleges and universities offer basic online physics classes as part of the general education requirements or a degree program. Most online physics classes have regular assignments with specific due dates. Online classes can be conducted in several ways, including streaming video and course delivery systems such as Blackboard.
Online Classical Physics Classes
Classical physics refers to physics theories that were developed by Isaac Newton and his contemporaries before 1900. It looks at the phenomena of heat, light, sound, motion, electricity, gravity and magnetism. Depending on the school, students taking online classes may be required to commute periodically to campus for lab work.
General Physics I
Students study fluids, thermodynamics, vibrations, waves and mechanics. Problem solving and precise measuring skills are emphasized. This course is generally algebra-based.
General Physics II
This physics class can be either algebra-based or calculus-based depending on the school. Students generally study magnetism, electricity and optics.
This calculus-based class introduces students to the study of motion. Students learn about rigid body motion and oscillatory motion in addition to studying the motion of particles and waves.
Online Modern Physics Classes
Modern physics encompasses complex topics such as relativity, particle properties, atomic structures and quantum mechanics. It usually has prerequisites in calculus and beginning physics courses. Since much of the laboratory work can be performed by computer, online modern physics classes are usually taken entirely outside the classroom.
Concepts in Physics
Students in this class learn the physics behind the function of ordinary objects. Topics of study may include light, sound, magnetism, electricity, relativity, thermodynamics and the structure of matter.
Topics in this advanced class include waves and particles as properties of matter, atomic structure, relativity, quantum mechanics and cosmology. Students focus on problem solving and 20th century physics concepts.
This advanced medical physics class focuses on the production of radiation. Students study nuclear and atomic structures, quantum mechanics, radioactivity, x-ray production, energy loss mechanisms and secondary processes.
Related to Online Physics Classes
- Recently Updated
Undergraduate physics courses offer students a foundational understanding of the study of matter and how it operates in space....
Physics is the study and knowledge of properties and natural laws governing energy and matter. The scope is from the...
From large concepts, such as gravity and outer space, to microscopic items, like electrons and atoms, understanding physics...
Physics tends to be identified as a graduate field, but there are many opportunities for undergraduate students looking to...
- Online PhD in Physics: Distance Learning Degree Overview
- Online Masters Degree in Physics: Program Info
- Online Physics Degree Program Options
- Government Property Inspectors: Job Description and Information
- Urology Technician: Career Information
- Career Information for a Degree in Teaching High School Curriculum
- Clinical Trial & Pharmaceuticals Administration: Job Description & Requirements
- Digital Photographers Job Information for Students Considering a Digital Photography Career
- Doctors Office Manager Job Duties and Requirements for a Career in Doctors Office Management
- International Business Schools in Boston
- Computer Electronics Technician Job Outlook and Info About a Computer Electronics Technology Career